Blueprint merging creates multiple instance of same class

We are making a project, where we tried to merge several blueprints.
In one instance when merging, the blueprint (BP_Portal) contained a public boolean variable (canStart), and a variable reference to an object of the class BP_Portal (otherPortal)

No matter if we accept one or the other, or end merging, it does not recognize any variables or components in otherPortal. As in we can’t get a Scene existing in otherPortal, as well as setting canStart.
If we remove context sensitive, we cant find the canStart either.

If we try to create a new variable of the type BP_Portal, in the selector we have 3 classes of identically named BP_Portal to choose from. However a search in the top content folder, only returns one blueprint called BP_Portal.

Again, it can’t find the variable in any of the BP_Portal classes.

We solved it by cancelling the merge attempt, rename the BP_Portal from the person branching in, and when merging, remove the original BP_Portal, and replace everything with the BP_Portal2.

And no, we cannot replicate the bug in a new project :slight_smile:

Ouch, sorry about that, I cannot see how I could help you with that (I am the author of the Git plugin)

We managed a workaround to fix it. Just for improvements and bug findings we wanted to inform about it, if it could help in any way :slight_smile:
But now that we have the Master himself :slight_smile: are there other materials than the pages on the wiki, and the videos on Youtube around, to better get into using Git and Blueprints within UE itself. Like best practices, good and bad workflows, and such?
Since we have the external usage like Git Bash under control, it is the ability to work together on the same Blueprints we want to be better at.
And thank you for taking the time to develop such a nice plugin :slight_smile:

Hi @Fjordhoj, unfortunately, Blueprints are not designed to be merged, and as such you should avoid to work together on the same BP concurrently!

This is why Perforce is used to lock assets files: to avoid merge conflicts.

Cheers