I’m a newbee for UE4. Also sorry for my English.
I’m trying to build a bathroom (be able to build any bathroom - in any shape). I want to walk as 1st person inside and see how it would look like with various patterns of tiles. I’m building it step by step, but I would like to choose correct way on the beginning so I won’t stuck with any functionality in the future. And functionality is:
- There will be door somewhere in the bathroom (I want it to be a hole in the wall - not a fragments of the wall build around the door) and user should be able to cross them (unlike the walls)
- I want to mix tiles patterns - finally I want user to be able to switch pattern of single chosen tile on user click
So far I have learned:
- You can’t make a hole in Mesh (Is this one still valid: Create material instance at runtime - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums ?)
- You can easily make great animated doors (holes: Unreal Engine 4 - [1-02] Making a door / window / room / wall (Beginner) (v4.13) - YouTube and actual animation: How to make a normal door in Unreal 4 Very Easy - YouTube)
- I can make a procedurally generated walls (Unreal Engine 4 - Procedural Generation Floor - YouTube or Blueprint Quickshot: Making Procedural Content | 06 | v4.7 Tutorial Series | Unreal Engine - YouTube)
I would like to choose correct objects, so I won’t have problems on next stages. However so far:
- I can’t use Mesh, as I can’t make a holes there,
- Couldn’t find way to create Blueprint generated Brush,
- Making tiles with textures or material looks bad idea, as user won’t be able to interract with single given tile in the pattern,
- When right-clicking on texture or material, item “Asset Locations” → “Create Blueprint Using This…” is greyd out and I can’t click it.
My understanding is, collisions are not a problem, as eventually I can add it in the future (however would be great to have it on the beginning out-of-the-box).