Blueprint Dialogue System

Yeppers, or at least that’s the plan! There have been a few suggestions/requests in this reddit thread about this feature, and if you have any other requests or suggestions, feel free to please add them to the list :slight_smile:

I have a question tho:
How many colors can you add in one dialogue box?

As many as you’d like, there aren’t any real limits to the number of colors you can have. You can give each letter of every word a different color if you would like to :slight_smile:

It works through text formatting tags, so it could look like this: [col=“1”]Red,[/col] [col=“0,1”]Green,[/col] [col=“0,0,1”]Blue,[/col], and default.

Color tags can be stored in variables too, so you can have color standards or easily changeable colors.
So it would look more like this: {color:red}Red,{color:end} {color:green}Green,{color:end} {color:blue}Blue,{color:end}

well, I would love to have a dialogue banter system (you know, because banter is funny), but I think that’s a whole other thing

Oh, thanks for the suggestion! I think I will use this banter idea for the chat bubble sample! The banter triggers would be an external system, but the dialogue flows and audio or text bubble cues can be managed by this Dialogue System :smiley:

Yeah, if that is the system for when you running around and your characters start to randomly chat about, or you click an item or pick it up and they comment on it, then that’s what I’m thinking about

Ah ok, I think that might be a bit too game specific for this system :slight_smile: (what triggers the conversation and what conversation to have can be story driven, or game state related)

then think of it as an idea for another project, or an extension to your current system. Anyway, your current system is very good as is, and being able to easy apply voiced dialogue to the relevant text with ease is a major plus, but is always nice to update and improve software products

I’m personally more of a fan of these type of assets due to them not being game specific

Upcoming Features
I have received many helpful suggestions and requests from the community and early testers (thank you!). I am currently working down the list, and so these should also be in the ‘final’ :

• Unlimited responses/branches
  • Chat bubble sample
  • Dialogue voice audio
  • Post execution actions (triggering a re-usable function at the end of a dialogue branch)
  • Cross topic branching (my own request :P)
  • Per branch conditions (per topic already supported)

Wonder if it’s possible to plug animations into the coordinating text

Like, facial animations and ideal poses, or whatever…something along those lines

This would be great!
While this is not currently a planned feature, it certainly is possible. I intend to document locations where hooks can be added for extending the system, and I can think of a few ways to add lip sync or animation triggers :slight_smile:

This is getting better and better.
By the way another question: What about different fonts in a same dialogue? Same goes for italic and bold?

Thanks!

Ps. I’m assuming those facesets can be animated am i right?

As far as I can tell, dynamically changing fonts in UMG is restricted to C++ only, so it isn’t currently possible in 4.7.
Whenever this is remedied (or if the solution is found), I will certainly be adding the ability to change them!

Oh i see thank you anyway!
And i suposse the same goes for italic and bold?
And what about the animated facesets?

Unfortunately it does apply to italic and bold as well :frowning:

Sorry, I had missed your question about the facesets: The portraits use UMG image widgets at it’s core, so it can be animated, although I haven’t put any thoughts into controlling the animation.

I was thinking it could be useful to have inline commands (like [portrait=“HappyTalking”] or [portrait=“AngryTalking”]). Using “flip books” in the material, you would then be able to have the characters flap their gums about.
Does this fit with what you were thinking?

yeah! was talking exactly about that :slight_smile: That would be awesome. this allows to show different moods in just a dialog box ^^

**A small update: **

I am pretty excited about this new embedded script system. It really streamlines the dialogue and quest writing process to be able to do things like this in the text:

(Contrived example)
[table=“width: 800, class: grid”]

**Name**
**Text**
    **PostAction**
**Condition**

INTRO_Hello
Hi there *$user@name$*, nice to meet you!
IntroBot@VisitCount = 1;
    IntroBot@VisitCount < 1

INTRO_HelloAgain
Hello again *$user@name$*, nice to see you! You have visited me *$IntroBot@VisitCount$* times!
IntroBot@VisitCount += 1;
    IntroBot@VisitCount >= 1 && IntroBot@IsHappy

INTRO_HelloAgainAngry
Hello again *$user@name$*...you have visited me *$IntroBot@VisitCount$* times. I am still angry with you!
IntroBot@VisitCount += 1;
    IntroBot@VisitCount >= 1 && !IntroBot@IsHappy

At any rate, things are going great and I will keep updating as I make progress!

oh gosh this is pretty awesome!
I really can’t wait for its release ^^

Good job!

The system is released on the marketplace now!

https://www.unrealengine.com/content/adda7c68911e4b58a850fdc3bec1fd98

I am currently working on documentation, and a additional features that haven’t made it in yet are also coming!
Note that some of the info and the screenshots are out of date (there is no longer a use for the Greeting Hub, since there is a ‘Trait’ system where you can define anything as a hub and a scripting system to do the rest and them some)

Oh and I have a mascot now :stuck_out_tongue: :

groggertalk2.gif

I thought it would be good to mention my favourite editor when dealing with CSV files, it’s called CSVed: http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/
It takes a bit of getting used to, but I’ve found it to be worth it when dealing with large columns and tables.

I have also updated the first post mentioning that Inline functions are completed and will be ready for the next release!