Blueprint Components stop rotating after 150-200+ components

When I add lots of components to a Blueprint (they are used as room layouts with furniture and items in this case), I can place around 150-200 of static meshes and billboard objects before the components stop rotating in real-time. I can hold down the mouse button and drag it into a certain direction, but the rotation is not shown anymore in real time and instead it rotates the component after I let go of the button. This is very troublesome, because I need precise rotations on the items and if this stops happening in real-time, it takes a lot of time for each item to rotate it how I want it.

In case this may be performance related, I can drag components to different locations in real-time without any problems, so it’s not that my computer can’t handle real-time manipulation of the objects.

Repro: create blueprint, add 150-200 components of static meshes and billboard items (not sure how many exactly, maybe it’s a hardware limit because I only have 8GB of physical ram but it happens 100% of the time when I reach a certain amount). Now try to rotate the static meshes and or billboard items to see that it does not happen in real-time, but instead when you let go of the mouse button.

Hi ,

Can you show me your dxdiag? I am seeing a slowdown on my end with this setup, however it is behavior that I would expect. You may want to look into utilizing intanced meshes or hierarchical instanced meshes to get the results you are looking for without experiencing as significant of a slowdown.

The reason why I’m not using instanced meshes is that almost all of them are different from each other.

Sure, you can take a look at my dxdiag!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7069768/DxDiag.txt

I’ve just noticed that even when this limit is reached and the real-time rotation of the object has stopped, I can still see the numbers changing in real-time in the transform on the right hand side.

Hi ,

Can you send me a copy of your project? I do believe this is a hardware related issue as it sounds like there is simply too much going on and the PC’s RAM cannot handle the load, however I will be happy to take a look and see if I can see anything on my end that may be causing the error.

Hi ,

We have not heard from you in several days. I am marking this as answered for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing this error, please comment with the requested information.

I have the same problem in my project. I´m creating arrows components in the blueprint just to create an instanced mesh on that position and rotation. I´m creating a crowd for a stadium, but after i create more then 100 arrows, its become almost impossible to edit the positions and rotations using the mouse. I´m still trying to figure out a solution.

Hi DIEM TvGlobo,

• Does this occur in a clean, blank project with no additional content or is it limited to one project?
  • What steps are you taking to reproduce this on your end?
  • Can you post your dxdiag here so I can take a look?