Blueprint Collision events from Niagara

I’m trying to get hit events from a niagara particle system component.

I got the emitter to handle collisions internally (the particles bounce off hit actors), and i’m using the (horribly undocumented) “Generate Collision Event” module in my emitter (hoping that it would generate collision events), but neither onComponentHit on the system works nor can i find any other event for it…

I’m suspecting i need some kind of niagara script to actually forward the event back to my blueprint, but i can’t figure out how to do that.

in case anyone’s wondering, and there’s no solution yet: for now i’m approximating the collision by having a bunch of sphere traces with increasing radii (to approximate the cone in which my particles tend to fall), works so far, might be a hack that works for others.

1 Like

Any update on this?

Bump

I was strugling with it aswell and I found a solution Particle Editor Extension by Cultrarius

1 Like

But can it detect pawn collision?

Seriously how is there no documentation about this ? This is such a basic use case.

Bumping this, I’m also looking for a solution!

Thanks in advance. :smiley:

This guy shows a very clear tutorial on how to detect Particle collision:

2 Likes

I have been running into this issue for a while needing to make particles do damage and or give me more info about what the particle is colliding with. If you are looking to give particles more information I have come up with a moderately easy solution.

Export particle data (as tut above shows) to a blue print which spawns the same number of actors to which you then assign the location of each particle to a coordinated actor on update

This might not be great with hundreds or more particles but you might be able to make some groups the represent large swarms or something. Anyway. Works awesome.