Bloodborne DLC - New Zone

Hello Everyone!
Two weeks ago I started on the final project for my masters program at Universal Art School in spain. For this Project I am gonna make a DLC for Bloodborne.

So far I have made a little bit of progress; I started off by doing a lot of research of the game, finding tons of references as well as blocking out a level I think would fit into the “bloodborne theme”.

The fun part of this project is that I haven’t actually played the game myself (yet), BUT I have watched a lot of gameplay videos in the past. So the idea I have for this DLC will not be a part of the story/lore of the game itself, but rather a side story that would fit to the bloodborne aesthetics.

Here is my Pitch:
Unravel the dark secrets from the “fountain of death” while wandering through a church known to be unholy and uncover the mysterious hidden deep inside its walls…

Here is the lore/backstory I wrote for the DLC I will be making: “Bloodborne: Lost souls

Refrences/Enviroment aesthetics:

My plan is to have 5 areas, which you can see in the blockout:

• Inside of a church
  • Big rooms under the church
  • Many Halways
  • A boss Place
  • One last “end” room

Blockout:

1. Inside of church

2. Big rooms under the church

3. Many Hallways

4. A Boss Place

5. One last end room

Hope you like it, and feedback is always appricated! I will keep updating once or twice a week!

3 Likes

This looks amazing! I’ve been preparing the layout for my own Bloodborne inspired level for some time. I’m also currently at the blockout phase but my work is nowhere near yours in terms of quality and detail. Needless to say this has inspired me to work on my own project even more. Could you elaborate more on which tools you have used for the blockout and the pipeline in general? I feel like there is so much to learn here and please keep uploading your progress.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Glad to hear I have inspired you! Would be fun to see your work too, maybe we could exchange some ideas :smiley:

The tools I have used in terms of the blockout are maya and unreal, just a basic idea of the layout I want. And I have used pinterest for the pictures/references. In the upcoming weeks I will be using Zbrush, maya and substance painter to make the models.

I will keep you updated!

2 Likes

Hello Again Everyone!
I wanted to share an update on this project. Last time I had just collected some refrences and made a simple blockout of the 5 areas I will be making.

The first place I wanted to start with was the church:

Finalized Blockout:
I have been finalizing the blockout even more, and changed the lighting a little bit

Tileable material (Floor):

I also did a quick floor test with a tileable material
It only needs a touchup to fix the issue going on in the picture, as well as some color corrections and some wear and tear to create more of a “old look” to it.

(03. March. 2023)

2 Likes

Update!:

Environment:
The environment is starting to come together. I tested out a more soft lighting so it wouldn’t look too harsh. I Also finished up the assets for the church, some already have uv’s, the rest will be unwrapped this week.

Statue:
In Bloodborne There are a lot of statues placed around, so I took inspiration from that and made one myself as a centerpiece for the church. Right now it’s still in progress, hoping to finish this by the end of this week.

Unwrapping:
Here are some of the assets I have unrwrapped.

Goals for this following week:

• Unwrap everything Church
  • Texture everything Church
  • LightTest

(06. March. 2023)

2 Likes

Hello Everyone!

It’s been two weeks since my last update, and I have now been able to finish the church. (At least 99% finished, there are some few assets left).

Environment
I have just been playing around with the lighting a little bit, so the lighting is not final yet.

Which atmosphere would look cool?
  • Daylight (Brighter scene, not so mysterious)
  • Moonlight (Darker scene, mysterious)

0 voters

Assets:
This is some of the assets I have made and textured, together with references. I have made a few minor differences from the pictures and the assets itself.

(Originally date: 13.03.23)

2 Likes

Long time no see!
I am back again to give you guys an update on this project.
A lot have happened since the last post, so I am very exited to share what I have been doing.

Enviroment:
This was the blockout of the second place I wanted to make, which is under the church:

So what i basicly have been doing is finilizing the blockout of this place as much as I can, and also doing some tilable textures:

(Original date: 20.03.23)

1 Like

Update!

1 Like

Hello Everyone!

Last week I had been able to finish up the place under the church and have now moved onto the hallways.
Here’s the blockout of the hallway I made in the beginning of this project:

Little by little I added more and more details to the hallways:

Assets:
A Lot of the hallways are the same, so I simply reused many of the assets:

The topology on this skull is not the best, so i wil hvae to go back and fix that later

2 Likes

The updates are very nice, it’s all looking amazing! Lets hope for a Bloodborne 2 haha

Greetings @KatarinaArntsen !

Thank you for awarding us the privilege of witnessing your development on your Bloodborne project! You are certainly proving to be an environment master for your Masters program! What is your field of study?

Like you, I haven’t played Bloodborne either, but I am familiar with its aesthetics, and you’re nailing it! I’ve read your backstory for the DLC, and it is darkly divine! (insert sinister smile) My single critique are the angel statues in the church. As glorious as they are, they look pristine and freshly sculpted, whereas Bloodborne statues kind of blend in with the architecture in grit, grime, and age. Simply put, perhaps applying more wear and tear to the texture of the statues would adhere more to the Bloodborne aesthetic?

Everything else is magnificently well done! I’m beyond impressed with your work thus far, and am eagerly looking forward to your next masterwork reveal!

Thank you! Haha yes, hopefully it will be fun to play when it’s finished!

Thank you so much! So glad to hear all the positive feedback!
My field of study is mainly just 3D modeling and texturing, it’s simply called “videogame art”, So hopefully some companies out there will appreciate my skills as much as you do :slight_smile:

And yes! I totally agree with the angel statues, but what you are actually looking at is just an early draft of the angel statues, so don’t you worry, they will look more grime, old and “bloodborne-ishy” haha.

Thank you so much again for the positive feedback!

1 Like

New Update!

Before I go deeper into what I have been working on, I will just give you a small refresher of this project and the areas:

My plan was to make 5 areas the player would go through, which was:

• Inside of a church :white_check_mark:
  • Big rooms under the church/underground :white_check_mark:
  • Many hallways :white_check_mark:
  • A boss place :writing_hand:
  • One last “end” room

Blockout:

So far i have been able to do 3 of 5 places, and are now working on the place for the boss to be (Keep in mind that I myself won’t make the boss, just the environment) This is what it looked like before

Environment:
After more work I changed it “a little bit”, or actually a lot… I wanted a more open space for the player, as well as giving a wow moment for the player when she/he sees it for the first time.

Assets:
Here are some of the assets I have made and textured, together with references. I have made a few minor differences from the pictures and the assets itself.

Hope you like it, and feedback is always appricated!

1 Like

Hi @KatarinaArntsen !

You’re certainly on the right path by creating a portfolio of your work. My apologies for speaking too soon on the angel statues. I had not realized that you were still drafting the church scene.

Way to upgrade the boss lair! I was not expecting such a dramatic and wicked reveal as I scrolled down! This boss dungeon is superb! The parapet is a great accent for the mood of the build. It’s the little things! That platform and staircase is iconic. It pulls you right to the center where the epic battle will ensue. The lighting is right in the sweet spot, imho - not too dim, not too bright.

Keep up the great work and those creative juices flowing. You’ve got this! BTW, “Bloodborne-ishy” is my new favorite word of the day! LOL! :joy:

What led you to make the changes to the boss lair? What does open space mean for your environment?

Update!

There is just a few weeks left of this project, so now I am working on the last place, which is the “fountain of death”

Blockout:

Before showing you the progress I want to give a little reminder of the inspiration of the place and the early blockout.

Modeling:
Some of the assets are reused, such as the floors, stones and other small objects. So I have been able to save a little bit of time and was able to focus on the chair which will be in focus for this room.

Environment:
I am pretty pleased with it so far, it still needs some work, and I also need to make the fountains so it actually will make sense to call it “the fountain of death”. I am also not really sure about the lighting yet, so this is just a preview.

I am also having a hard time deciding on the skylight because everything looks so pretty with the sun, but then I started to think…Rain or no rain? What do you guys think?

• Rain!
  • No Rain!

0 voters

Story/Lore:
The lore from Bloodborne is pretty complex, so I didn’t really want to mess around with that, which led me to make my own backstory for this DLC; “Bloodborne: Lost souls”

Creating this backstory made it easier for me to make a game that would make sense for the player, as well as fit into the bloodborne aesthetics without going too far away from it, and also as not making a complete copy.
In the beginning I mentioned that I hadn’t played the game before, so making my own lore just made more sense; It saved me a lot of time and was easier in general to visualize something that I came up with.

Thank you for all the support and feedback I have received so far! Hope you are excited for the next update which will come in a week! :smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you! No worries hehe, I may have presented it in a weird way hehe.

Thank youuu :star_struck:, The boss place needed an upgrade. I didn’t really have a super clear plan before blocking it out, so I was just testing out something random, I just knew it would become a boss “place” eventually. After looking at a lot of playthroughs I noticed a pattern with open places and some narrow places, so I wanted to create a balance for the player. The player will also be able to explore a little bit more.

I am super happy with the lighting, I hope i will be able to keep it that way after I bake the lighting, my past experience with lights have nit been great hehe, so I am a little nervous about baking the lights :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I am currently at the last step on this project, which is set dressing!

So what I have been doing is basically touching up each place bit by bit.

Even though set dressing is the most fun part, it is also the most titious, so I made a list of what the set dressing will include and what you can anticipate for the last touch ups:

• Fill up empty space and places

• Foliage and nature

• Fix bad textures

• Edit lighting

Under you will see some more developed scenery:

Hope you like it! As always, feedback is appreciated!
If anyone have any good advice on what else to think about when doing set dressing I would happily take it! :smiling_face: