Blood screen how

I knew how to do screen effects like blood screen but i totally forgot it anyone could send me a link or something?

Hello my friend.

I have done a damage screen system with blood splat similar to resident evil revelations by just using flash scaleform.

​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86PJWuV-9Xc

Its a movieclip with two layers one layer i placed the blood splat textures and the layer below i placed the blink video effect which is 3 movie clips (blink low, blink medium and blink fast) with a simple opacity animation.

So the master movieclip which contains the blood splat layer and the blink screen has some keyframes. in the keyframe zero in example all the blood splat have their opacity zero so they are invisible and there is no blink video effect. Then some keys forward i did set the opacity of some blood splat textures to 100% to give the impression that they are apearing. And for each keyframe i changed the blink video effect (slow, fast, fastest).

this i have made inside the hud udk hud flash file which contains the healthbar, ammo count.

Then on the unreal script code, the class gfx (i dont remember now the exact class) i just added a code that will check the player health and move the movieclip to the exact frame on which the blood splat appeared.

For me I prefeer using flash scaleform for all tasks which involve huds because I am a Web Designer and worked many years with Flash from since the time of Macromedia :slight_smile: before Adobe purchased Flash.

Cheers.

Ok scaleform it’s an option thanks but emh the postprocess effect option it’s cleaner no offense

cheers

anyone knew how to control a postprocessoffect for the screen?

No bro, offcourse is not an offense :smiley:

However, I try to keep things as simple as possible for me. I try to avoid perfeccionism, while trying to reach an acceptable level of quality. If something works well, looks good and is simple for me to do, so I do it.

I also agree that postprocess effect maybe a more elegant way to do, however, as I said, I feel comfortable with flash/scaleform, so because this I take it as my main option for HUD’s.

Cheers.

ok in this case, you can create a material using the material editor and after that you can add the material in the UTPostprocess_pc .

and after that you can do that in kismet so that after being hit you can make that in the kismet

2 Likes

To toggle on/off post process I use the kismet from the bottom of this page.

https://api.unrealengine.com/udk/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsControllingPostProcessEffects.html

In a few words, you can place a few more materials that you want in your main post process chain,give them a name , but have them disabled.And you can toggle them on/off in kismet or uscript just by calling the name you gave to the material.

I’m sure this solution works great, but it’s also possible to do this entirely in UnrealScript. If you have a blood spatter texture and you want to draw it onto the screen, you can just do it in your HUD’s PostRender using Canvas.DrawTexture. And with Canvas.SetDrawColor, and you can change the Alpha to fade the texture in and out.

UDK Bloody Screen Tutorial 3/3 - UDK Implementation - YouTube i’ve found this tutorial

I’m just using scaleform for mine with TweenLite to control the transitions. I know that PP would probably be a better solution, but it looks fine.