Blending montages with aim offsets correctly?

I’m working on getting my aim offsets and anim montages to blend correctly, and I’m having a very hard time figuring out what I’m doing wrong. I’ve seen some people playing the slots before applying the aim offset, and I’ve seen others just use additive animations played after the aim offset. I’ve tried both, and playing the slot before the aim offset results in strangely angled arms, while playing it additively after the aim offset looks right. I’m not sure what the best practices are for aim offsets and anim montages. If the first way without additive blending isn’t working then is it likely something wrong with my aim offset setup? Or is additive animations for melee, reload, etc. pretty much standard?

I would say this is true, with or without montages, as illustrated at the bottom of the following Documentation page:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Animation/AnimHowTo/AdditiveAnimations/index.html

If this does not answer your question, please elaborate on what specifically you are trying to accomplish. -Thanks!

Well, I’m trying to make my melee attacks work at all different angles, so that if the player melees while looking up, they’ll swing upwards and hit whatever is above them. Similarly with downwards swings. I’m also trying to make it so that recoil animations blend nicely with aim offsets as well. Using the ApplyAdditively node for my aim offset ends up making my character into a jumbled up mess, but just feeding the base pose in works perfectly for that. The thing I’m trying to decide on is how best to make my melee animations tilt with the camera’s aim, and also how to make sure my reload animations don’t look too strange when aiming in different directions.

here is an answer for blending aim offset with montages