Blender Skeleton Mesh to UE4, Disappointingly hard

I’m actually very disappointed in how poorly the systems transfer.

Considering I would like to be able to use UE animations with the mesh, i need a skeleton that is at least close.

I’ve tried several methods/tutorials and nothing seems to work RIGHT.

and this:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/animation/100864-tutorial-how-to-make-ue4-mannequin-in-blender

I either end up with bones that dont seem to actually exist as the mesh doesnt move when i play with them. Or, there is no match to allow it to work with the Ue4 skeleton at all.

My last attempt gave the best results.
I exported a ue4 character. Removed the mesh. Overlaid the bones to my character using concept from link above to line them all up. Then I generated a Rig. Rather than getting rid of any of it. I just attached it ALL to the mesh by weights (no idea why just mostly mad at this point)

Everything came in PERFECT!
Except the physics…

Any way to fix that easy?

or where else i can go to try make this all work?

I feel you and sorry i could not help you but i recently switch from 3ds max to blender and it’s the first time i encounter a serious barrier in my production pipeline and the information is so misleading because you have versions change on both blender and UE4 and people doing tutorial that don’t know exactly what they are doing and it is pretty frustrating just trying to make it work. I am very close to forget about blender and returning to autodesk to keep my sanity. Maya LT after all is only 40$ monthly so when i will need character animations done i will take a monthly subscription.

Unreal folks should add a mention in the documentation about blender and UE4 incompatibility so people are not doing the rat race to find how to and losing countless hours on it.

The physics asset will have to be manually tweaked. I don’t know that there’s any way for that to be pregenerated before being imported.

For the armature (skeleton), if you intend to drive IKs in engine then you CANNOT use bendy bones, or split the arm bones in half for twists. You’ll have to instead duplicate the arm bones in place, and attach to the original bone. That way UE4’s IK won’t try to bend the arm in 4 places. The control handles can be however sloppy as you want, just as long as all of the controls are parented into one master control that sits on the origin point. The armature should be parented to the same master control.

When exporting your rig, if you have animations Do NOT tick “NLA Strips” or “All Actions” If you have a complicated rig, it can make your fbx export and import take hours of time to complete.

Sent you guys a gift, hopefully that will make it easier for you to send your animations to unreal using blender. :cool:

Thank my friend that was very cool from you and does anyone know how to reply to a private message since i don’t see that option anywhere?

Yeah I I have misplaced that link :frowning:
Dont come here a lot and didn’t know it was from here. I was looking at it dubiously and then never got around to checking it out. Oops.

Having a bit easier time with blender lately.
I did find a guy and girl who do this professional and started videos (they did TWO and that was years ago so i am guessing they stopped)
but they had some awesome tips.

Biggest thing: someone finally helped me on another project where I was using the Ue4 Skeleton and so I dont really need custom animations right now. I started making progress again on the thing I was setting aside. It was amazingly simple fix that no one else noticed.

i know what you mean… i tried to give blender a chance, i really wanted it to work but it was just too frustrating, then i gave up and went to maya where everything seems to work properly and the UI is more familiar to me since i use other autodesk products

I gave up on trying to use the Epic skeleton with Blender. I followed a few tutorials off youtube, and its actually easier than I thought to just build your own skeleton, and animate it, and then export to ue4.

2024 still same problem, trying my best to skinning to manny in blender and imported to unreal, it is impossible to make 1-1 always problems here and there. The only way is creating own skeleton in blender and retarget the animations in UE. But then, you need to recreate all the setups for physics, control rig, bone corrections, etc. So much work for solo or small team.