Blender 'Send to Unreal' Collisions and LODs?

How do I set up LODs and Collisions in Blender so they export to UE4 with the ‘Send to Unreal’ plugin made by Epic Games? Do I just name the collision mesh the same as the Maya/3DS Max FBX pipeline documentation?

For example, I have a weird shaped windmill object. The mesh name is ‘windmill_01’. The collision mesh is ‘UBX_windmill_01’. Will the ‘Send to Unreal’ plugin recognize the collision and export it with the mesh to Unreal?

What about LODs? When I create them in Blender, will ‘Send to Unreal’ recognize them? Does Unreal have a built-in LOD generator that works really well?

I’m not sure about LODs, but the Send To Unreal addon does not appear to work with collision meshes. It’s good for testing and quick iteration, but when you need collisions you’ll need to export to FBX outside of the addon unfortunately.
TLDR:

“Will the ‘Send to Unreal’ plugin recognize the collision and export it with the mesh to Unreal?”

No.

EDIT: I was entirely wrong. The answer from jamesbaber2 is correct - I just tried it. I can’t remember how I tried it before, but I must have done something wrong. Either way, Send To Unreal does work with custom collision if the collision meshes are placed in the collision collection (folder).

TLDR:

“Will the ‘Send to Unreal’ plugin recognize the collision and export it with the mesh to Unreal?”

Yes!.

This is how you would do custom collisions just like normal, just put them inside the collision collection.
https://epicgames.github.io/BlenderTools/send2ue/collections.html#custom-collision-meshes

LODs Just need to be named correctly ‘_LOD#’ and the LOD option needs to be on
https://epicgames.github.io/BlenderTools/send2ue/preferences/import.html#lods

Sorry for the bump — updated documentation links for future Googlers:

1 Like

Here’s a thorny one:

I have a large mesh with many pieces, I was using the combine mesh feature (previously on export, and later on import) to keep things non-destructive for iteration. I now need to create custom LODs for this complex mesh and would like to maintain my sub-pieces in Blender. Is it possible to create LOD groups and use the LOD feature of sendtoUE and the combine meshes option? The docs claim it is, but I’m immediately getting errors that the first sub-mesh does not follow the correct naming convention (which is odd is this merge should get merged down and its name doesn’t matter).

I can’t find any examples of people doing complex unmerged LODs from Blender to Unreal so any advice is greatly appreciated.