Blender over UE4?

Can someone specify why content creators should use Unreal Engine after downloading software like Blender or Maya ? I just started light programming using Blender and it seems to have everything I would need to complete a game. What advantages does UE4 give me ?

UE4 contains a lot of features that your average game needs - such as AI & networking - as well as a decent set of tools, support for visual scripting etc.
If these are not things your require or are happy to add them in yourself, BGE may be enough.
In the end, it basically boils down to personal choice :slight_smile:

I am assuming here that you are talking about BGE, BGE is nowhere near as powerful as Unreal. Also BGE has no C++ API, you will have to hack the source and the source is not documented other than code comments.

The only big advantage of BGE is Python , Python is both easier to learn and use than Blueprints or C++ and more powerful than those two combined.Also BGE being more simple makes it easier to learn. But still not enough to justify using BGE over Unreal.

I am also a Blender developer specializing on Blender python addons. I could go in detail of the advantages of Unreal over BGE but this is something will become obvious when you start learning Unreal.

The good news is that you can still use BGE to try game ideas quickly inside Blender and then move those ideas to Unreal for the final product.

Blender is a 3d modeling software man, unless your talking about the game engine part of it which in my opinion is nowhere close to what ue4 can do.

Are you sure Python is more powerful than C++? first I have ever heard of this from my understanding it usually goes like this.

Machine Code > Assembly > C > C++

You got it backward

its actually

Machine code/Assembly < C < C++ < Unreal C++ < C# / Java < Blueprints < Python

The power of a language it depend on its level, level is actually its distance from machine code, meaning more automation. One command translating to several lines of machine code to several pages of machine code.
Assembly it barely classifies as a programming language its basically machine code in a human readable format and is the only low level language since its the only one that maps 1 to 1 to machine code and hence the weakest of all.

C/C++, Java and C# falls under that category of high level languages.

Python, Ruby, Smalltalk and Lisp under the category of higher level languages and hence the most powerful. Python also comes with a huge standard library that makes it even more powerful if not the most powerful language though that is debatable.

for example

C++ vs Python

static types < dynamic types
smart pointers < GC
macros < decorators
generics < dynamic types
OOP < OOP
… < Functional programming
standard library < Standard Library

Generally you can think power in programming language as the path of least resistance / effort to accomplish a same or similar result. Hence a power of language increases the productivity of its coder.

Use Blender for modeling, UV’s, sculpting, and so on (asset creation). Export those to Unreal.
The Blender game engine is ways behind Unreal - but I guess it depends on what you want to do.

I also would not recommend Blender to anybody - Use Maya lt, Modo Indie, or my personal favourite - Houdini instead. You’ll regret trying to stick with the whole free thing - Back when I first got started we did not have indie versions. Developers need to eat to, so I guess the whole free thing does not make sense to me anymore. I like Blender-I started out with that, but can’t recommend it with the other options that you have. Tools like Maya and Houdini will save you countless hours.

Regards

There is no way that Python is more powerful than C++.
C++ is way faster than Python and with C++ you have more control over everything you do.
Python may be easier to use but that doesn’t mean that is more powerful.

Python is used for rapid development and when you are not concerned about performance too much.
C++ is used for more complex stuff and when you want to have more control over what you are doing.

And C++ is not a high-level programming language it is a low-level programming language.

You confuse the productivity of a language with it’s power. And even then C++ and Python shouldn’t really be compared directly.
Python, for example, is originally implemented in a language you call weaker; C.

Yo do not compare java with C#.

Alright, if blender gives you all the tools to make a game, why don’t you go make some!?
It’s too hard and not flexible, lacking many features (like subsystems and integrations with android and much much more).

If you are using Maya and just want to showcase your work, your best bet would be to use Lumberyard due to seamless integrations.

If you want to add some interactivity you’d better use unreal. I am concerned about ART compatibility with blender though.

Nah blender is capable of doing a fine job for most people, its only when people start to really try to find free alternatives for every little software that’s what gets me agitated. Substituting photoshop for gimp, lmms for protools/logic etc etc. But i see nothing wrong with having one or two free software in ones arsenal especially blender.

But Blender has issues with importing out certain files, and also with exporting rigs.

I will honestly agree with you on that point my good man.

I had a nightmare in trying to get the rigs from blender to work for unreal because Blender has got certain bugs in it that distorts the armature, (you can see the stretching in the unreal
editor) and seems to affect animated rigs. The blender rig didn’t work, but the Make Human Unreal rig did work in Unreal, but it caused a twisting issue in the mesh in the arms and legs. I think that was also spoken about on here as well. and to fix that, they had to go through a
whole reset of the armature and bones to rescale them.

If any two languages are similar, it’s Java and C#.

On the general issue of “high level”, it is important to understand that it only means how far removed it is from how the computer hardwre actually works. Higher level is not better, more powerful or even more productive. It all depends on the task.

Lisp for example is one of the highest level general purpose languages, but its abstractions are most usable for certain areas and certain ways to think about problem solving.

Another example is SQL. Super high level but at the cost of only being usable for database queries.

Use the right tool for the job!

@HavocX : Syntax maybe, but I don’t think CLR has come so far that it can face off JVM and be so kickass at server backends with a WIldfly-Docker-Kubernetes combo <3

That’s true, you could throw together basic stuff very quickly in Blender. You already have the actual assets etc. Could be used to test if a character’s movement or action animations work properly instead of having to go through all the necessary steps to import and test it in UE4

That would be–not efficient. The way things would work in Blender would not be how you would do them in UE4

Blender is a great program, and this is coming from someone who was trained in Maya. You can perform basic modeling, sculpting, subdivision, decimation, material authoring, and quick character UVs in Maya with absolutely no problem. Before Maya had character UVs, Blender did, and I know quite a few Computer Animation students who actually preferred Blender to Maya. Nowadays that may not be the case, but not everybody can afford the thousands for a professional suite. Blender has like 90% of what Maya can do, and for most applications Blender is just fine.

What you lose are some of Maya’s more robust tools and features like perfect edge smoothing and export to UE4 (what I miss the most), complex generated shapes, normal translation for multiple vertices, customizable soft select, and third party plugins that work with UE4 like Epic’s ART and NVIDIA’s APEX integration. It sucks that you can’t author character cloth in Blender, and it sucks even more that edge smoothing doesn’t work the way you’d hope it would, but for a free program that’s really not so bad.

Lets also not forget one huge deal many forget about when the applaud blender, and overall its worth the applause I agree.

Most people, even those with fairly high end rigs, and mine isn’t that far away from one, have terrible lag in EDIT mode, a ‘known’ issue.

While blender is all many can afford, it EDIT mode is non existant when you start to go into edit mode on complex meshes.

I"m taking nothing away overall, but that’s a deal breaker at the moment. I hear the edit mode won’t get ‘updated’ until at least around 2.8x.

Till then, I actively , daily usually, use meshmixer as it has no such slowdowns, albeit you can’t edit vertices/edges just faces, and a lot less modeling features , but still no slot downs and some amazing features for free , and you can do cool 3d printing with it as it was originally designed for.