Blender car hierarchy?

what tool do i use in blender to set up the wheel/chassis hierarchy?
i know you dont use bones and some things ive tried are almost there but i need a little help to get it right
closest so far is:
parent - object, puts the wheel bones at 0,0,0 so the wheels flail around in ue4
parent - vertex, kind of works but only 2 wheels are ‘attached’ in ue4 and the front wheels go wobbly when you turn

i did try other things the last time i tried (couple of weeks ago) but that was using bones so it just spazzed out.

thanks for any tips

edit:
actually trying the parent - vertex again worked this time
still get the front wheels wobbling when you turn though

edit2:
adding mesh space node on the anims fixed the front wheels

fixed!

**for anyone else, heres how to replace the mesh in the car blueprint template with your own from blender **(worked here at least)

blender
chassis and wheels as seperate objects (no bones)
parent wheels to chassis, vertex - vertex (1 wheel at a time)

ue4
import as skel mesh with rigid body ticked (advanced)

physics asset, change chassis to box - reset -box
wheels physics type to kinematic

new anim blueprint - vehicle
drag from final animation pose - wheel handler
drag from that - mesh space ref

replace mesh and anim in sedan blueprint with what you just made
raz around in your new car :slight_smile:

all thats left is to work out how to make the car lean?
and why if it goes on its side it self rights?
anyone?

haven’t tested this fully yet but use the same system as i did for udk but make sure the “root” bone is at 0,0,0 .

if you don’t put the root at 0,0,0 you’ll have loads of problems, remember also that the scale is important, i always test with the 3rd person template that way i can pull both meshes into a map to check the size

you need to change the “suspension force offset” in the wheel blueprints, set it to a minus number or it leans the wrong way.

I noticed that as well, don’t know how to fix that yet although it reminds me of UE3 when there was the “bCanFlip =” line in the code and it was set to true.

thanks

yeah its like the upright constraint in ue3 vehicles, although you can get it upside down if you really try.
also if you land from a jump at a silly angle, that in real life would send you end over end, it just kinda sucks the car to the ground as if nothing happened, not even a bounce or anything.