Blender animation becomes small

I can’t believe it, but this solution worked.

Fixed it for me as well, should be marked as accepted answer!

Good find. Fixed for me too. I knew there had to be a simpler fix than all the other hacky fixes.

Thank you so much! I was having this same problem, it’s unbelievable that it works!
We are in 2018, and this issue is still not fixed in Blender…

Thank you this worked!

Seriously? God, this solved the problem of all my assets here. Thank you so much

That was simpler than I thought, thanks.

I’m aware this is an age old question but as far as I can tell it’s still an issue so…

Blender 2.78

If I leave scales on 1, the model looks fine until I animate it. After that the usual issues appear.
_
The solution I use:

FBX export Scale to 0.01 in Blender.

Scale skeletal mesh (or skeletal mesh component) to 100 in UE.
_
Not on import but directly on the skeletal mesh component - this scaling affects animations too.
For some reason import scaling didn’t go well for me (didn’t do a thing) but it might have been my luck.

Unanimated, animated, works so far. And is very simple to do so.
(Formatting is still weird here - double enter for a simple line break…)

So simple. Singed in just to + vote. haha. Thank you!

This solved my issues too, after hours of trying different settings. This answer absolutely needs to be marked as the correct answer, otherwise people will be confused by the current “correct” answer above.

Nevermind, TooManyDemons’s solution is way easier. Though I never would’ve guessed something like that would work :slight_smile:

Thank you so much !

One caveat: naming your armature “armature” removes the root bone that Blender itself assigns to it. In other words, if you try to use this solution to export an animation that you intend to use root motion with, it will not function properly.

–ATTENTION EVERYONE–
If anyone is currently reading this answer and considering going this method DO NOT!
Read the post below by TooManyDemons. It is the correct way to fix the problem and it works magically.

even at November 2020, this works perfectly. don’t ever name your rigs as Armature

Indeed, this is solving the problem, but unfortunately not if the rig is linked (referenced). If the armature is not called “Armature” the exported animation FBX using the related proxy object will not be recognized by Unreal as compatible with the skeleton. With the armature called “Armature”, it works like a regular local rig and suffers from the same scale issue on animations.

After a bit more research, exports using “linked” armatures work as well. You simply need to make sure that the proxy of the armature is named the same as the original armature.

It’s late 2021 and this is still the correct answer!
Thanks

Thank you! late 2022 and this is still work

I faced this issue many times. This comes from the FBX importer that skip root node named armature, rename the bone to have it working.
I wrote a blog post about this: How to solve Invisible / very small mesh when importing a skeleton from Blender – Flo GameDev blog

1 Like