Blender and ue4 with morpg targets/modular pawns

Hey all, I’m trying my hand at a simple character creation project so I can learn.

From my understanding, since tuts on this seem to be very lacking. Is that character creation is done in ue4 by using morph targets or modular pawns.

Morph targets:

1. Make a couple variances of the same asset.
  2. Lerp between their models.

Modular Pawns:

1. Make different pieces for your asset.
  2. Interchange them at sockets.

I’m trying to figure out the “best” way to do this and I’m pretty lost as their doesn’t seem to be much online for this. I hear blender shape keys are the best way to do it and then you just import them in as one .fbx. I really don’t wanna start doing this until I have a loose plan of attack.

Is blender shape keys how I should do it? Say if I just want people to be able to pick characters weight or height or something? How would clothing systems be implemented for morph targets? If it’s placed at the rig’s socket wouldn’t a fat character just clip through or something?

And how does this all fit into the original character skeleton, is every single mesh I make gonna be a copy of the original character? And then I just continually add more and more animations and morph targets through blender?

Say I have a character done already and with a walk animation. Do I create the morph target in that blend file or make a new one with a copy? How would I then reanimate/make sure weight painting is good on the morph target, would I just redo everything?