Blender add-on for better workflow with Unreal Engine 4 - Blender Unreal Engine Workspace

Blender Unreal Engine Workspace

Blender 2.8x (above) add-on for export directly to Unreal Engine 4 with all setting in Blender (inspired by send to unreal add-on).

and yeah, I don’t really have any future plan. so if you have any suggest just post reply in this post

Feature

Allow you export static mesh, skeletal mesh, and animation with single click directly to Unreal Engine 4 or to FBX file.

v1.2

v1.3

v1.4

v2.0.0 Alpha

Allow you export static mesh, skeletal mesh, and animation with single click directly to Unreal Engine 4 or to FBX file.

Main Feature

Static Mesh

Export for Static Mesh.

• Export to FBX and Unreal Engine
  • Custom collision from vertices
  • Custom collision from mesh - v.1.2
  • Custom lightmaps
  • [ DEPRECATED - v.2.0 ] Export profile - v.1.2
  • Socket System - v.1.3
  • Level of Detail - v.1.4
  • Generate Level of Detail - v.2.0
  • Import Static Mesh From Unreal Engine - v.1.4

Skeletal Mesh

Export for Skeletal Mesh.

• Export to FBX and Unreal Engine
  • Modular character
  • [ DEPRECATED - v.2.0 ] Skeleton preset (Epic skeleton)
  • [ DEPRECATED - v.2.0 ] Add twist bone for skeleton preset - v.1.2
  • [ DEPRECATED - v.2.0 ] Generate rig for skeleton preset - v.1.2
  • Move To Another Add-on : TBA
  • Socket System - v.1.3
  • Copy/Paste Socket Unreal Engine - v.2.0
  • Skeletal Mesh Part Manager - v.1.4
  • Import Skeletal Mesh From Unreal Engine v.1.4

Animation

Export for Animation.

• Export to FBX and Unreal Engine - v.1.2
  • Import Animation From Unreal Engine v.1.4

Retarget Animation

[ DEPRECATED - v.2.0 ] Retarget Animation to another skeleton - v.1.3 Experimental, v.1.4 Production Ready

Move To Another Add-on : GitHub - anasrar/ReNim: Blender add-on node-based retarget animation

Groom Hair [Experimental]

Export Hair Particle From Blender and Import as Groom Hair In Unreal Engine (Not Support Direct Export To Unreal) - v.2.0

Export Setting : [Groom] unreal engine import setting

Copy Transform To Unreal Engine Map

Copy Transform Selected Object To Unreal Engine Map - v.2.0

Support

• Static Mesh

Documentation

documentation page or YouTube playlist

Download

You can download from

master branch is unstable and bug fix version

Installation

You can watch this video

or simply follow this instruction below.

Blender

Edit > Preferences > Add-ons > Install > Select UE4Workspace.zip > Install Add-ons

Unreal Engine 4

Edit > Plugins > Type “Script” On Search Bar > Enabled Python Editor Script Plugin and Editor Scripting Utilities > Reset Project

Edit > Project Setting > Plugin > Python > Check Enable Remote Execution?

Then you can try to connect your project from blender.

Usage

Press N on Blender for open the tab menu.

Compatibility Test

• 2.81 - DROP from version v.1.3
  • 2.82 - DROP from version v.1.4
  • 2.83 (make sure export folder path is absolute)
  • 2.90 (make sure export folder path is absolute)
    Unreal Engine 4.26
2 Likes

i am trying to use your tools, but whenever i try to click on “Update List Skeleton” i got this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\UE4Workspace\UE4WS_Character.py”, line 371, in execute
skeletonList += json.loads(output"output"][0]“output”])
IndexError: list index out of range

Thanks for report

Can You open your Unreal Engine project > File > Recent Python Script > Select “GetAllSkeleton.py” > Check Your console, You should be get all Your skeleton in array string

tell me what you get ??

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/38805204/85515661-918ae480-b627-11ea-9bbb-8870b889192a.png

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/38805204/85515995-f21a2180-b627-11ea-8c2b-8ec22a767fb1.png

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/38805204/85516314-46250600-b628-11ea-8679-d55f988c60a1.png

in Unreal Engine > Recent Python Script is empty, seems like GetAllSkeleton.py doesn’t able to execute remotely in UE4.

if i open my output log in UE4, this is what i see when i click on Update List Skeleton
LogPython: Error: SyntaxError: invalid syntax (<string>, line 1)

can you edit UE4WS_Character.py
search for

output = self.remote.run_command(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__)), "PyScript", "GetAllSkeleton.py"), exec_mode="ExecuteFile")

and add

output = self.remote.run_command(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__)), "PyScript", "GetAllSkeleton.py"), exec_mode="ExecuteFile")
print(output)

to know output from Unreal Engine.

open Blender > Connect to Unreal Engine > Update List Skeleton > Window > Toggle System Console > See what the output ??

looks like the output is empty:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\UE4Workspace\UE4WS_Character.py”, line 371, in execute
self.remote.close_command_connection()
IndexError: list index out of range

I’m kinda confused right now, can you make some video how your workflow.
It’s hard to debug when I can’t see someone workflow.

Hi ,
i manage to solve the problem, all my blender addons were installed into:
C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\UE4Workspace
i think there was a space in the middle causing the python script to behave incorrectly.

now i change my addon into a new folders without space like this:
C:\Users\Documents\Blender\Addon\addons\UE4Workspace
and the script is working correctly now.

:slight_smile:

Ah… folder issue, thanks for report this issue
I will figure out for this issue ASAP, I’m not having this issue because I’m using Portable Blender and all add-on install is not going to %APPDATA% on windows

**Bug Fix : v1.2.2 **was available on **Gumroad **and Github

• Fix Python PATH Script Issue

i have blender connected to Unreal. the project name shows up in blender. but when i hit export. nothing shows up in Unreal. i have a blank project in unreal and there is nothing there. i’m using Version 4.25

here’s an error message i’m getting when i hit Export https://i.imgur.com/S9t3FCD.png

thanks for bug report, try to change multicast group endpoint port

Unreal Engine 4

Edit > Project Setting > Plugin | Python > Expand the remote execution and change the port of multicast group endpoint

Blender

Edit > Preferences > Add-ons > Search UE4Workspace > Expand add-on option, and change the port of multicast group endpoint

and do some test export to unreal engine, like export some cube from blender to unreal engine, hope that help you

https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/38805204/87068403-b2665300-c23f-11ea-81a4-81558a23bffb.png

v1.3.0

new feature

• socket
  • humanoid face rig
  • retarget animation (experimental)

improve

• control rig
  • custom collision
  • custom bone

changes

• all object panel now using sub panel
  • panel closed by default
  • pole calculation location

v1.4.0

Changelog
https://anasrar.github.io/Blender-UE4-Workspace/changelog/#v140

Alright first of all great job on this blender plugin it is truly amazing and has improved my workflow tremendously and I want to thank you for this amazing plugin. and the issue where you couldn’t import big project assets is now fixed I tested it from the master branch.

Hi. could you add an option to combine child meshes into one mesh before exporting?

Otherwise they will be imported separately, and cannot be merged together in Engine.

Your plugin is absolutely great! :slight_smile:

update v.2.0.0 alpha

• ​Generate LODs
  • Copy/Paste Socket For Skeletal Mesh
  • Groom Hair
  • Copy Transform To Unreal Engine Map

add to feature list, thanks for suggestion

Hello Rin.

I found your script while searching online for a way to add sockets in blender and have them carry over to my unreal project.
This functionality will save me a lot of time while working on my project. Using the latest versions - Blender 2.93 and UE 4.27.0, I was able to connect to UE from Blender, but it didn’t display the “list project” drop down. Exports didn’t work - I tested with just a basic cube.
On Blender 2.91, I could see my project and the correct engine version, however clicking export didn’t send my files to Unreal - no errors and nothing under “Recent Python Scripts” in UE.
It also didn’t work on UE 4.26.2 and finally I was able see my exports in my unreal project on version 4.25.3. The FBX files appeared in my export folder normally on all versions.

Any ideas on what could be the problem or any plans to update the script to work on the lastest blender/UE versions?