Blend Materials for landscape

Hey all,

Just wondering if its possible to set up a system for your landscape that blends full Materials together instead of blending textures when you paint? It would be really nice to be able to easily slot in Materials or Material Instances into the landscape for blending rather than having to duplicate your work.

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same question.

I love UE4, but maaaan the landscape painting workflow is obscure.

Sadly not. Would love for someone to show us how to do this.

It is probably the most complicated thing I’ve tried to do in the engine thus far. The Mountain Landscape level has a pretty good set up, but it’s beyond confusing, so I’ve not really reversed engineered it yet. I really can’t see why materials cannot be used instead of the rigorous set up that is in place now.

Actually the worse thing is that the guys who put together the landscape template said that they didn’t build the landscape material using Layers. They built it with an old method that doesn’t take full advantage of the Landscape Layers system so the Material in that template isn’t going to help you any.

This tutorial covers the basics of setting up Landscape Layers

Yes, I know. The problem with that tutorial is that it’s too simple and will only yield very mediocre results. The only person I’ve seen utilize pre-existing materials is in this video:

You make your material functions and create 4 separate splat maps to import into the layer info tabs so that the materials will be assigned accordingly.

Interesting… well if I ever figure out how to do it properly, I’ll let you all know. Hopefully Epic will beat me to the punch though.

I have the same “problem” right now. It would be nice to see the feature to either blend the materials direktly in the landscape layer system or to have a better layered material system which you then can combine.

You can turn your Materials into Material functions and blend them using Material layer blend nodes.
Is that what you had in mind?