****Technical Animator ****
About Black Matter and Hell Let Loose
Black Matter is an independent development studio founded in 2015 to support the development of debut title Hell Let Loose. Made up of an international team of selected artists and programmers, Black Matter is focused on creating beautiful worlds ruled by emergent, player-driven game design.
Developed for PC in Unreal Engine 4, on paper, Hell Let Loose is a realistic multiplayer World War Two combined arms first person shooter of open battles of up to 100 players with infantry, tanks, artillery and a shifting front line. At its core is a unique resource-based strategic meta-game that is easy to learn, but hard to master.
Black Matter is looking for a Technical Animator to join in the development team on Hell Let Loose. The Technical Animator will be responsible for developing and maintaining animation systems, rigging, pipelines and processes used by the animation team. The Technical Animator reports to the Lead Animator.
- Develop, test and maintain complex animation systems in conjunction with animators, gameplay programmers and other team members as required
- Provide technical support on the animation tools and editor to the team
- Assist in the design, integration and validation of animation assets.
- Learn all required features and functions of the animation system editor and tools
- Participate in and supervise integration of the animation assets into the game engine
- Collaborate to ensure compliance of animation features with technical, aesthetic and gameplay constraints
- Research and share knowledge of existing engines and animation packages within the industry;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
- Support the Lead Animator in any ad hoc tasks and duties.
- Assist in planning and scheduling of animation work
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong practical understanding of animation logic: node graphs, animation trees and similar engine editors and technologies;
- Experience on character action focused games preferred with at least one shipped title;
- Strong character animation skills and understanding of animation principles;
- Experience working with high-fidelity motion capture advantageous;
- Enthusiastic, methodical and organised approach to work with high quality standards;
- Able to document and explain their work clearly and concisely;
- Strong knowledge of Unreal Engine 4, Autodesk Motionbuilder preferred, knowledge of 3DS Max, Maya and similar packages useful;
- Strong understanding of rigging, skinning and related character technologies;
- Strong knowledge of human anatomy and the visual arts;
- Ability to work flexibly, accept and give feedback and adapt to change;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work as part of a multi- disciplinary team;
- Sense of initiative, originality and resourcefulness in problem solving.
**Location: **Remote/Work from home