Black artifacts and outline artifacts in editor viewports

I agree with pepper chico, this seems to happen with the latest intel driver on Linux. Have you tried to reproduce it using arch linux?

I have attached my log here

Is there anything further I could do to try and narrow it down? Pressing F11 to enable fullscreen in the viewport seems to remove the issue for me.

Also, the problem isnt showing up in PIE either

How/where I get the logs?

The logs can be found in the [ProjectName]/Saved/Logs folder. The best approach would be to cause the issue to occur, then shut down the editor and attach the most recent .log file from that folder.

Here are the logs, I’ve just opened a new project based on the rolling sample, moved a bit in the scene, the issue reproduced like in the youtube video, then I closed the editor.

I also have this problem on Ubuntu 17.04 with an i5-3380M (HD3000) on UE 4.15.1 with Mesa version 17.2 (OpenGL 4.2, so I have to run UE4 with -opengl3).
With UE 4.14.3 these artifacts don’t show up, so it is something that has been added somewhere during UE 4.15.1 or UE 4.15.

I have just installed Unreal Engine 4.17 and the black artifacts have just turned into orange artifacts… At least they don’t clutter the view so badly as before.

@, do you happen to know to what issue UE-44099 has become a duplicated of? I’ve seen that UE-44099 has been marked duplicate, but can’t find the original.

Screenshot after just opening the Vehicle sample and zooming out the viewport:

Hi @, yes I’m on a 7700K ArchLinux on Intel Graphics solely. There’s no such option in the menus from my side.

Also, I don’t know how the bug thread here remotely relates with UE-43725, I have no flickering issues and it’s not mentioned here, the issue has been just artifacts left behind, like not properly clearing the graphics buffer.

Hey peppre_chico-

UE-44099 was marked as a duplicate of Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-43725) which appears to have been fixed for 4.16. If you are still seeing this behavior in 4.17, it may be that this was fixed on the Mac side and not Linux. I have reached out for further clarification on this.

For additional information, are you using an Intel graphics card in your machine? Additionally, if you uncheck the “Support Forward Rendering with Metal” checkbox in the Engine/Cooker section of the Project Setting, do you notice any difference after restarting the project?

After speaking with other developers, I found that UE-43725 was a Mac specific fix. I have reopened UE-44099 for further investigation.

Just build the latest UE4 release 4.18.1 for linux and the problem is still there.

The issue as described so far is different from what we have seen for 4.15.
4.15 was more usable, it shown black artifacts. Now we have different orange artifacts which are hard to get rid of.