Bioshock Infinite Tear Portal

Hello Everyone!

First off I would like to say that this is my first post and I apologize if this is not the correct section to post, as I’m unsure of where else to ask this.

I would like to implement ‘portals’ in my game much like the tears in Bioshock Infinite. Right now I have two areas in one level: the main one where the player is and explores, and an off-screen area with scenarios set up. (Each scenario is basically a cluster of actors). What I’m hoping to do is to essentially open a ‘bubble’ in both areas which acts as a portal, so I have a spot in my main area where the bubble opens, then another bubble in the off-screen area opens at the designated scenario, so the scenario is essentially in the main area.

Please refer to the attached image for reference.

So far I’ve not been able to find a solution, probably due to the fact that I’m not quite sure how to phrase my quandary in a better way. Any help or links to relevant articles is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello,
For those who are interested, I achieved the portal effect with this great tutorial:

It basically uses a sphere mask and its world location to change the opacity of a Cutoff material(with emissive fringes) within a radius. I wasn't familiar with all of these before.

Have a good day.