Bink video not playing - "please pick a media source"

I enabled bink plugin, uploaded my .bk2 video to Content/Movies and it automatically got imported as bink media player but it does not launch saying that there is no media and asking me to pick a media souce. Tried setting the path manually but that didn’t fix it. The video plays fine when opened with RAD Video Tools

Hey @MagicznaFlet6!

Just a few questions to get things started:

• Have you tried disabling all other Movie Player plugins other than bink?
  • Do you have a “Movies” folder inside of your content folder that has your movie files in it?

• Have you followed all the steps listed in the UE documentation for Bink?

Any additional information you can provide will be a big help in solving your problem.

1 Like

I’ve just disabled all media players other than bink to no change, the file is inside Content/Movies I use UE 5.0.2.

Hey @MagicznaFlet6!

Okay, bear with me, but just so I know I have this correct:

You disabled all Movie players including windows movie player plugin which hides at the bottom of the list.

You have your bn2 file that you built from using the executable in Program Files → Epic Games → UE_5.0 → Engine → Binaries → ThirdParty → Bink.

Then you moved that created bn2 file into the “Movies” (case sensitive) folder that you created using this folder structure: ProjectFolder → Content → Movies.

After that you opened your project with your project’s .uproject file (at least for the first time after moving the files) and opened the BinkMediaPlayer.

Finally you set the file using the File or URL option in the details panel.

If all of that is correct, then maybe updating your UE version might solve your issue. It is working for me when using 5.0.3.

1 Like

It worked when I converted the movie using the executable you pointed me to, but does not work when I try with a movie I got from an external source, does the movie need to be converted with some specific version of the converter?

Hey @MagicznaFlet6!

While I am unsure if you can’t use an external converter, I do know the ones included in 4.27 and UE5 have been integrated for those versions. Here is some more information on that:

I hope this is the information you are looking for.

Did you use the Rad tool that is part of your UE installed files, If not got look under UE_5.3\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\Bink. i also had the same problem but it was due to using a free standing version of Bink

The Bink video executable at UE_5.3\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\Bink does not work, I press “Bink it” and then it just throws me back to the file selector, without converting anything. In fact, none of the Bink executables work in any other installed Unreal version either. Any ideas why this would happen?