Better support for laptops!

Hi,

I want to use UE4 badly for a game that I’m currently researching. The issue, even though I have a pretty decent laptop, UE4 will still run slowly on it! (it’s a 2.4 Ghz i7, 8GB of RAM, and a NIVIDIA M-GPU card)

Could I request that you fine people at Unreal be able to allow for your equally awesome game engine to work on laptops as well? I would love to use it, but sadly, I can’t do it if I have to be almost tethered to my desktop to do so? The ability to use the other game engine (Unity) allows for me to work on both my desktop and my laptop, which helps me in speeding up the development time (why stick to one place when I could just take my project and work on my laptop as well).

If you could be able to somehow allow for greater laptop support, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

I have used almost exactly those specs, and the editor runs just fine for me. (This is a 2014 Razer Blade)
It all depends on exactly how hard you push it, but even the nice demos like “Elemental” run OK on it.
Perhaps you have a driver issue of some sort? Or perhaps it’s one of the lower-end “M” class GPUs, and you’d need to turn down the visual fidelity a bit?

I don’t know, is a GeForce 610M considered a lower-end graphics card? (Being honest, I don’t totally know)

Yes, that is a very low-end card. For the mobile three-digit cards, the first digit is the generation (where 6 is a few years old but still usable) and the next two digits are “power” within the generation. Unless they made a 605M chip, the 610M chip is the lowest-end of that generation, unfortunately. For Unreal Editor use, you’ll want the 70 and up “power” ratings.

Hey,

While some laptops can run UE4, they’re limited in what they can do which results in the editor performance being quite low. Some of the tips provided by other users may help resolve the issue that you’re running into, or possible upgrades may help your computer out.

What are Unreal Engine 4’s system requirements?
For developing with UE4, we recommend a desktop PC with Windows 7 64-bit or a Mac with Mac OS X 10.9.2 or later, 8 GB RAM and a quad-core Intel or AMD processor, and a DX11 compatible video card. UE4 will run on desktops and laptops below these recommendations, but performance may be limited.

Good luck!