• Ships Graveyard by Volodymyr Stepaniuk
  • Niagara Appearance Effect by AlexHuang
  • Scifi Probe on Sketchfab by re1monsen
  • Death Animations - MoCap Pack by MoCap Online
  • Character Conversation - MoCap Pack by MoCap Online
  • Elite Landscapes: Bundle Pack by Velarion
  • Modular military character 2 by Slayver
  • Junkyard Environment Kit by Denys Rutkovskyi
  • Special thanks to Alec Tucker for his super helpful post about Cinematic Post Process tips on Artstation
  • Special thanks to Will Faucher for his amazing youtube channel.
  • Special thanks to Jordan Downey for his awesome vision and help on this project.

Hi everyone, my name is Kevin Stewart and I’m a virtual cinematographer. I have over 15 years experience as an on set DP and over the past few years I have mostly focused on virtual cinematography in Unreal.

For this challenge, I really wanted to do something with some mood and atmosphere and thought it would be interesting to tackle a foggy/overcast look.

While it’s quick and easy to get 80% of the way toward a good looking foggy environment with the exponential height fog, it’s also really hard to get it to feel truly authentic and I wanted to focus on making it as cinematic as possible.

I spent a lot of time look-dev’ing the sourceless overcast look. I didn’t want any hard light from the sky/sun, but it also couldnt’t just be a skylight or everything would feel flat. That was the meat of this lighting challenge for me.

Once I felt happy with it, I wanted to add some interest with pockets of fire and the probe that flies around. It helped break up the muddyness of the fog but also helped direct the eye to the action.

Of course, good cinematography relies heavily on good production design and set dressing, so I also spent a lot of time putting together this environment. I was aiming for a post battle desolate battlefield somewhere on another world.

Finally, for the story, I love sci-fi and horror, and movies like T2 , Prometheus and Dune are big inspirations. I’ll leave it up to your interpretation of what is going on at the end :wink: I will be super curious to see what people think!

The whole thing was shot, edited and sound designed with sequencer in engine. Music and SFX bought on Marketplace (Sidearm Studios)

Cheers,

Made with 5.0.2

17 Likes

This is awesome, congrats and good luck.

1 Like

Thank you @FabioGC !! Appreciate the love.

1 Like

Waow. The light on the skeleton had a T2 vibe !

1 Like

Very cinematic :slight_smile: Great job!

1 Like

Thank you so much! Love your work Tom, can’t wait to see more content from you!

:wink: Appreciate that so much thank you, was absolutely inspired by T2!

1 Like

I can definitely see your influences here! Great job!

My interpretation of the end:

Oh, no. It has begun. Everything living must die…to live again.

1 Like

Thank you so much, and love your interpretation - you’re spot on.

1 Like

Definitely one of my top 3 fave entry. Oof

1 Like

Thank you Jae! Appreciate it man, keep up the great work on your channel!

1 Like

amazing work ! The atmosphere and mood is top notch!

1 Like

Thank you @bertho_nana ! So happy you dig it!

1 Like

This is really well thought out and put together. I Can definitely see you have experience in the film industry. Your lighting and animation are spot on.
An excellent submission.

1 Like

Wow thank you so much for that! Really means a lot, much appreciated.

1 Like

Awesome stuff, I love the color scheme. Nicely put together.

Could you please share some knowledge/tips about the use of a moving spotlight in the volumetric fog? For the life of me, I can never make it not flicker :smiley:

Is there some settings/console variable that helps it? More samples in higher frequency or something? It looks like you have it mostly under control, maybe it’s slightly visible at the beginning. Or are you using some additional trick like an additional textured cone to simulate the look of the spotlight beam?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

@martin.smekal Thank you for the kind words! The only thing i’ve done for volumetric fog is the r.VolumetricFog.GridPixelSize console command. I typically use a number between 4 and 2 with 4 seeming to have pretty good results. Don’t go too low though or it will really slow down your machine. Thats the only thing I do for it. Hope that helps!

2 Likes