I had the first traces of this idea when listening to this song on repeat ages ago when it first came out in 2017. Now that my Unreal skills have developed further since then, I decided to go all in and try to push it as far as I could. This challenge was a lot of fun and was truly enjoyable to see an old idea of mine come to life.
On the technical side, I created a skylight recapture system that allows HDRIs to be rotated and blended live, contributing to the GI effects particularly when the colourful lights begin. Also, the flip through the puddle animation has a director blueprint that spawns an inverted duplicate level. There is also a distance fade material setup for the cobblestone and the puddle to allow for a smooth transition.
Everything was rendered directly from Unreal, and only the music was added in post.
Student Submission: No
Credits to sourced content:
- Quixel Megascans Assets (Modular Neoclassical Packs, Surfaces, Stairs, etc.)
- American City Packs (Bundle)
- Bicycle With Animations
- VP Real Food and Coffee Bakery
- Realtime Archviz AssetPack - Bistro Restaurant Scene
- Fireworks With Sounds
- Desert Gas Station
- Detective Office
- Automotive Bridge Scene
- City Park Environment Collection
- Downtown West Modular Pack
- King Wash Laundromat (City Scene)
- Ultra Dynamic Sky
- Brushify - Arctic Pack
- Shanghai Bund HDRI • Poly Haven
- Vignaioli Night HDRI • Poly Haven
- La tour Eiffel - SDC Performance
- Paris Dining Chair Navy Blue & White - Zuo Modern
- 3 FREE Spline Tools for Unreal Engine - tiedtke.
The Chainsmokers - Paris (Instrumental - Edited)
Overview of Environment
Example of the HDRI Skylight Blending/Rotation Setup for GI