Better Light Than Never : Camelot Revisited

Title: Camelot Revisited
Submission by David Will

I decided to start with a blank project and see what I could do in 2 weeks, I began a little later into the event but made up for the lost time where I could. My main outline for the project was to create a game environment (along with some staging areas- entry, battle & boss areas) that runs at 60fps and could be realistically used in production. I used this as an opportunity to improve my workflow with Nanite and Lumen, with most of my assets still in UE4 I had to re-process everything from scratch (with Nanite in mind) aside from the ground models which I scanned last week- I ended up creating over 60 environment models (scans & zbrush creations) and developed all so that they could be used in a modular fashion in the future.

My only issue was there were some post processing light flickering issues with the rendering in Movie Queue that are not present in the editor or compiled build, as the final hours were approaching I decided it was best to leave as it is. It’s my first time using the Movie Queue as I usually capture via other methods so it’s something I will improve upon in future!

It’s been a great experience as I feel nanite is an important part of working with Lumen as there are so many Lighting details that can be captured, bounced and projected from a detailed source. When working with the models I was excited to get the next in to see how they reacted to the light in the environment. It has been a great first step in my transition between UE4>UE5 and hopefully soon I will be able to further improve!

Engine Version : Unreal Engine 5.0.2

Student Submission: No

Credits to sourced content:
Megascans for Trees and Foliage

2 Likes