The Beta Launcher For Linux
Update 4# (version-0.4-1)
This is the official page of a program I wrote for Linux, to make live with Unreal-Engine easier.
The program is called “Beta-Launcher”. I wrote the program for myself, for better handling Unreal Engine 4 on my Arch-Linux build. However, after some time I decided that it might come in handy for people who don’t want to start the engine from a Terminal.
The following page contains a small description what the launcher can do, and what not.
*Before reading further keep in mind that I only tested the building in Ubuntu 14.04 and Arch-Linux. Mint 17.3 should work, but is not tested as well.
The launcher (and ue4 itself) currently wont install on buntu 16.04 because of a bug in the intaller script of UE4 which I am using aswell. you cant find a workaround here!
Recent update highlights:
- added the new tools (Content Adding Tool, Backup and Restoring Manager) to the 0.4 version which is live on GitHub now
- fixed a bug which prevented the engine to start without the project when clicking on “Start Engine” in the main window
- moved some of the buttons in various windows to get a more uniform look, as well as removed some unnecessary widgets
- added some space between the rows in the install dialog to make it look more light
- made a small link to show the Icon in your taskbar (tested on gnome 3.20 and unity)
- Distributions: Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Arch Linux
- Loading Unreal-Blog
- Loading Unreal-Help page
- Loading Marketplace page (by default its CG-Trader, because they also sell “.uasset” models. I did not choose the Unreal-Marketplace, because it is still not possible to buy stuff from there and download it to Linux)
- Installing different versions of Unreal Engine
- Loading projects from the Launcher
- Start in OpenGl4 mode
- Start in OpenGl3 mode (when openGL4 is disabled)
- Start with Primus-run enabled (for Nvidia + Intel hybrid graphic solutions)
- Disable webpage loading on start (disabled by default, for enabling, enable “stream”)
- Change Installation procedure to other distribution (ATM: Ubuntu, Mint, Arch)
- Changing all the commands which will be executed when installing the engine
- Change the distribution specific commands
- Last but not least: Save all options into a readable .conf file in
- Easy install via .deb (Debian/Ubuntu and distros) or via AUR Pacman ready .tax.xz (Arch/Manjaro etc.)
Things I want to do in the future
- get Vulkan working with the engine (you actually can try to enable Vulkan in the preferences menu, this will add the -vulkan option to the start-command. However, it does not start correctly on my system, but maybe I installed Vulkan the wrong way)
- Add an option to make backups from project-folders, as well as restoring them [done for 0.4]
- Add a small tool for combining one-channel Textures like hight-maps with three channel Textures like albedo-maps
- Add a small tool for adding pre-made project-files (like base materials and blueprints) to existing new projects [done in 0.4]
- to be continued
As listed in the feature-list, it is possible to load other URLs
Installing of the launcher:
Ubuntu 14.04 + Mint 17.x
Download Debian package and double-click it!
Download .tar.xz, then either double-click it if you have an AUR-helper like Pamac-AUR installed (manjaro/antergos by default) or change in your terminal to the download location and execute:
sudo pacman -U *NAME_OF_tar.xz_FILE*
Removing of the launcher
Just as you would do with any other package!
If you have problems when launching the Launcher:
- go to /usr/share/beta-launcher/src
- open the “launcher.ui” file with an text editor
- comment the line 1256 out
- try to launch it again
If you start the launcher in the terminal and there are some modules missing these are the dependencies:
- VTE 2.91+
- python-module: configparser, subprocess
If you get the following error:
Could not load image '/usr/share/pixmaps/beta-launcher.png'
Create a icon file at the location ‘/usr/share/pixmaps’ called ‘beta-launcher.png’. You can use the official one from the launcher.
Backup-Manager and Content-Adding-Tool
Main Window on Ubuntu 14.04
Small tutorial video (a little bit outdated UI):
UI since version 0.3
If you are interested in the code, feel free to download from here:
this is also the link you can use with
git clone +link
**Some small info in addition: **
I learn python since summer 2015, it is the first programming language I’m learning. The interface and program is made using Anjuta, which means it’s using GTK+ . I am learning the GTK+ stuff since January 2016. When reviewing the code, keep this in mind.
However, I am open for any criticism or tips etc. If something is not working, please post the error code and a small description what you did in this thread, I’ll try to fix it.
With that said, I hope someone except me finds the Launcher useful, I hope to get some reviews!