Best way to texture multiple objects?

Hey, I have this train which i have made in blender. It an asset for as personal game project.

As you can see it has many different parts, most which are separate objects aligned together.

My question is about texturing… Its a pain to export each one into substance painter or export the mesh and have hundreds of small parts unreal engine for texturing.

So is there any other method for quickly adding texture to multiple objects for a complicated mesh which have many parts like this? Any ideas?

Cheers!

Your model is fantastic )) Anyway, how many different materials is supposed to be in this model from material point of view?

I guess that after so many months you solved it, but just in case - what you need to do is assign different materials to the different parts, making sure that the UVs never overlap or you’ll have visual aberrations on the model. When imported in substance, the program will recognize each material as a separate layer on which you can work and paint as you want. The balance there on an optimisation perspective is trying to fit as much assets within the same material tag, giving priorty to surfaces clearly visibile (like the chassis of the train, the “hero” material I would say) and carefully masking and painting within the layer, instead of separating materials on a ton of instances.

Hope this helps

1 Like