Best way to set up and render (modular character) animations?

New guy gets excited about making movie scenes, bangs head against wall for a month

Actually, I was doing fine with singular skeletal mesh characters - using animation assets as if I was sequencing videos in video software or music loops in music software, in the sequencer, but then I bought some nice modular characters and can’t figure out how to animate them in a renderable sequence.

I managed to compile the different parts of a modular character into a whole character that animates well in the main viewport when I press play up top - with a single animation asset applied to it in the blueprint’s details - but I want to create more elaborate animation sequences, with physics simulating, AND render them as video files.

With the regular skeletal mesh characters, I could just drop them in the sequencer, assign the animations, record the simulations into the sequencer, then render the sequence to video.

When I add the character blueprint to the sequencer, I can’t find a way to add animations to that track like I could for the singular skeletal mesh characters.

Is there a way to do that? I really like that format.

Or do I have to use animation blueprints and somehow use those in the sequencer? I’ve been trying to get animation blueprints to work for a few days with no luck - and the documentation doesn’t match the updated ue5 interface.

I tried using the sequence recorder window (legacy right?) but it doesn’t capture the physics simulating.

What are my options?

What’s ideal for flexibility and ease of execution?

Again, in summary, I need to render video files consisting of animated modular characters and simulated physics.

I very much appreciate any suggestions!

2 Likes

Update - I’ve discovered the Take Recorder (yay) so all I need now is to figure out how to get all the physics to simulate on my character. Currently, hair and clothing is simulating, but breast physics is not. It’s as if it’s lost in translation in the blueprint somehow.

1 Like