Download

Best way to go about creating a church interior in UE4?

Hello,

As part of a university project I am going to be comparing the features and results of two different game engines (UE4 vs Blender, as a prominent high end game engine VS a low end, open source alternative).

Blender obviously has modelling capabilities within it, as it seems to serve was a swiss army knife for creation of 3D digital art. But with UE4 I’m not entirely sure where to start.

I’ve managed to block out the interior somewhat using geometry brushes, but as soon as I try to do any more complex shapes, even trying to make arches or windows, I can’t properly edit the brushes (Adding or subtracting) like I could in Blender or Maya, and any attempts to brute force results by manually moving verticies together etc seems to cause the brushes to freak out and cause all sorts of visual issues.

I tried to look up some tutorials but the ones I found were of middling quality with poor, out of sync audio, were vastly outdated as they referenced buttons no longer there, etc. Additionally I will also need to learn how to implement materials (Which I believe has tutorials) onto the geometry I make, creation of advanced visual effects being rendered in real time (Fire, particles, lighting, physics) and so on, so any further direction would be very helpful!

You shouldn’t be modeling in UE4. The tools that exist are mostly there for blocking out a scene, level design, or gray boxing.

So typically for modeling a scene like a church:

• Gather reference

• Create a block out in a 3d application or UE4, whatever is faster. You may want to bring the scene into UE4 and run around it, checking scale.

• Break up the scene into modular or reusable parts.

• Figure out what assets are going to use tiling materials, what ones are going to be uniquely textured.

• Create the more refined models/textures/materials

• Iterate and put most of the effort and polish into the most important assets. Usually you do not want to be finishing one asset at time until you have a good sense of how the scene is going to come together. You might have to a more refined block out to use as a placeholder to make sure everything is going to work as planed.