Best way to create in game Cinematics

Hi everyone!

I am currently in charge of the creation of the in game cinematics for a game I am working on.

I was wondering what would be the best way to animate actors in the sequencer.

• I have a main sequence that contains all the shots (level sequence with only cameras) and the actors. I first animate the actors for the full sequence (as if there where no cameras) and then I use the shots to frame them with cinematic cameras.
    It’s a good way to have something set up quickly but I think I will lack some controls over the actors animations as they are not in the same level sequence than the camera shooting them. That’s what they did for the meerkat demo.

• Second solution is to have a master level sequence that contains shots (again). But those shots contains the cinecameras and the actors. It means that for each shot I will have to build the stage by placing the actors and framing them correctly. It is more time consuming but I will be able to build the frame I want. It would be also more difficult to keep a continuity between shots.

What method would you rather use?

And last point, wich aspect ratio and sensor size would you recommand?
I firstly try with something faking an Alexa Sensor, the feeling is great but I got black bars at the top and bottom as I am not in 16/9 anymore.

I have also tried the 16/9 DLSR preset wich seems to be fine.

Have you already been in that case? Wich solution did you pick?

Thanks!

Which aspect ratio works best for the game? These days 16:9 is the default for most media.
The other issue with sensor size is the depth of field. Larger sizes mean a more shallow depth of field.

You can build with actors in a continuous level sequence if you wish. That allows you to adjust cameras and actors. Then it would be a matter to set up camera switching in your blueprint to display the camera you wish or you can build a master sequence with those cameras.