Best way to create Blueprint variations

What is the best way to have a variation of a blueprint?

Example : My game has about 20 train stations over different levels. I created a train station using various smaller parts, then created a blueprint out of it so I can easily add it to levels.

However, I want the stations to all look a little different (slightly smaller/larger platforms, higher/lower ceilings, extra room etc).

What’s the best way to go about this in unreal? I’m moving over from unity, and there we could add prefabs to a scene and customise it if needed.

I know I can create a duplicate of the Blueprint and then alter things inside the duplicate, but is this the best practice?

You need to make the blueprint ‘procedural’. IE, it can change things like the length of the platform etc in the construction script.

Thank you for your reply.

That wasn’t quite what I had in mind, but I believe I have found the type of thing I was looking for.

When I drop the blueprint into the level, I can’t move the individual parts around in the World Outliner, but I can move the around in the components section of the details panel.

1 Like

Hey, you can create one blueprint. Create event inside of it that has “Call in editor” checked. That allows you to handle changes within the blueprint in editor. You can then resize elements, move them… etc. Or even create multiple variants of those elements, and just randomly decide which one to use.

I did something similar in my game to randomize barrels, wrecked cars and some other stuff, because I have tons of them on the map, and changing one by one would be real pain :smiley:
Ignore “Confirm design” button.

1 Like