Best way to avoid landscape splines (roads) with foliage/grass?

I’m trying to get a knack for the landscape spline tool, and I’ve learned to place and move the control points. However, after I place a road on my landscape, the trees and grass are still placed where the road is, even when I use “Resimulate” to recreate the forest.

I could manually place foliage-blocking volumes all along the roads, but that would be a very labor intensive process and it wouldn’t be very easy to tweak the road positions after that.

Also, the “Landscape Grass” grows through my road, which looks silly. I don’t have a separate landscape layer for the roads, so I can’t easily avoid outputting those areas in the landscape material itself. But that’s a smaller problem than the trees - you could drive over grass, but trees, not so much :D.

I feel like I must be missing something. What is the intended way to prevent the Foliage spawner from spawning trees on my road surfaces?

Thanks for any tips for a noob!

“I don’t have a separate landscape layer for the roads, so I can’t easily avoid outputting those areas in the landscape material itself. But that’s a smaller problem than the trees”

That is your problem right there. Use a landscape layer that is not grass, for example the dirt layer. You can set the Layer Name in the spline, then when you apply, it will paint that down.

On top of that note you can also remove items spawned by the foliage spawner with the foliage tool if you’re looking to crop out bits and pieces. Personally I used the foliage spawner to get a large set of items spawned in a neat fashion then added the same meshes to the foliage tool and removed what was going to be in the way of my design then added bits and pieces of decor (Grass, flowers, rocks, etc.)

Nice tip - I didn’t even know there was an erase mode in the foliage tool!

The only trouble with it is that if I re-simulate the forest (say, to add a new tree or rock type), then all the carefully erased trees over my road pop back into existence again - grr!

Maybe the best option I have is to add a whole truckload of foliage blocking volumes to the entire length of my roads. It’s labor intensive, but on the other hand it saves having to manually re-erase the trees on the roads when messing with the forest.

It would be spiffy if they added an auto-foliage-blocker option for landscape splines. The engine knows where they are when it spawns the foliage anyway, so I figure it could do that entirely procedurally.

If you’re going to be re-simulating a lot then adding the volumes until you reach your final phase would probably be your best bet. It definitely would, I’m sure there’s a way to attach a foliage block volume to a mesh via blueprints, that’d definitely be a big time saver.

Hi I know that thread is quite old but I set it up like TimeSpirit suggested and nothing happend. I create landscape spline add EraseFoliage(it’s in the OpenWorldDemoCollection example project) to the layer name in the Layer Deformation tab and apply it.