Best way to animate a door handle?

I have a lot to learn about UE5. Right now I’m working on modeling a full scale house, with functional doors and light switches. I know how to get doors to open and close with an E button interaction, but I want to add some more realism with an animated door handle when my doors are opened. Surely there’s a way for a static mesh to have more than one moving part. Maybe the door handle itself should be its own static mesh, but somehow attached to the door? I’m not sure how to make this work so any advice is much appreciated!

The door handle does need to be a separate mesh :slight_smile: You can’t move part of a static mesh.

It’s ok if you don’t have a separate door handle, if they’re ‘knob’ type ( rather than a lever ), you can just put a slightly larger door handle over the existing one.

The handle becomes a component in the blueprint, and you attach it to the door ( in the component hierarchy ), so that when the door moves, the handle automatically goes with it.

Then, you have to animate the handle separately, in the same way you did the door.

2 Likes

You can make the door an Actor, containing 2 static meshes one for the door and one for the lever. then animate the lever with a curve from rotation A to B and back. Or, make the door a skeletal mesh and animate something entirely custom. If it has to be fully interactive (physics) you can also use physics.

2 Likes

Thank you!! My door model looks amazing now. :grin:

1 Like