Best way of setting up the animation of a dialogue heavy NPC?

I’m quite new to UE4, but I’m slowly getting the hang of using Blueprints and things like that.

I’m creating this game which has a character who has loads of dialogue animation (that will need to change both length and actual animation depending on what language has been chosen) as well as idle and movement animations. The different dialogues will be prompted by the player completing tasks within the game, but the character doesn’t interact with the player more than looking at him/her every now and then.

I don’t need a full explanation of exactly how to do this but if you could point me in the right direction that would be wonderful!

First, what do I use to set up the animation and sync it with the audio? I’ve read about Animation Montages. Is that the way to go?

And secondly, what’s the best way to swap out all the dialogue to different files when changing the language?

Thank you for the help!

Well which way to go should start with how complex the game play is going to be and how long the story line is, if there is a story line.

Does your game only need the simplicity of say a Mind Craft or the complexity of an Assassin’s Creed?

Does the animation need to be real time or cut scenes?

What type of facial animation do you wish to use? You could keep things simple using a talking mailbox, something low maintenance like cluster shaping, or something high maintenance using morph target?

Last what app will you be using to author animations?

Putting it together you could start with a ready made system like Dialogue Tree and Quest System in Blueprints - UE Marketplace

There are a couple so search around.

Personally I would not jump straight into making the game but do a few R&D projects.

It’s simpler than that! Sorry, I should have specified more clearly.

The game is only about 20 minutes long, it’s all in real time and the character is just a floating sphere robot with no mouth. The dialogue animation is just general body movement with the occasional swoop to emphasize a point.

All the animations are created in Maya.

In that case if low on the dialogue requirements then using montages would be a logical way to go.

Okay!

How do I use the Anim Graph of the animation blueprint in that case? All the tutorials I can find on how to set up montages seem to be for stuff like attacking, and I’m not sure how much an Anim graph set up for attacking carries over to an actor with about 30 lines of dialogue.

I tried to do something with this tutorial: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Introd…_Points_in_UE4

But it doesn’t seem to work for what I’m doing. This is what my Anim Graph looks like after just 3 lines, and when I prompt a “Montage Play” in the Event Graph of the actor’s blueprint it only works for the bottom two.

What I would like to be able to do is to play different montages either one after the other or when prompted by something in-game. What’s the standard way of doing that? Is there a tutorial or anyone with a working blueprint I could learn from?

Well as is only one slot at a time can be played and will play all the way through unless another montage is activated. It’s use is based on the ideal that once a sequence has started it will play through with out player interaction once the button has been press. The way you have it stacked though to seems to replace one montage with another in order. In this case since each of the montages are unique you could remove two of the blend layers and place all three slots with in the same migration path.

I tried to do it like this, but it doesn’t seem to be able to play all of them. I’m not sure I understand enough to tell you why. It seems that the way it’s set up now it can only actually play one of those slots, but I’m not sure how it decides which one it should work for. It doesn’t seem to just be the one in Blend Poses 0.

I got a tip from a different forum to do something like this: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

It works just the way I want it to, just that it seemingly can only play Animation Sequences and not Montages. Is there a way to set up something like that for Animation Montages?

Screen cap not working but this way

Ah, cool! I’ll try that out. Thank you very much for the help :slight_smile: