Best practices in structuring a game

Hi UE4 community.
I am a beginner dev working full time on an indie game (VR flight game). I am amazed how far I have gotten with online learning resources and have solved most issues that I have faced. ANd writing here under the BP section as I am so far only using blueprints.

About learning material I have gone through - most online resources are great for solving a detail issue or having a heavily simplified path from zero to a product. Both are great but I am having bit hard time finding more “meta” learning material (I don’t mind paying btw) that would cover more abstract topics. I mean more broad strategies of where to store what values, which element is responsible for which functions, smart ways to construct enemies/NPCs etc.

For example now I have PlayerPawn, which contains the VR hands but mostly just relays (via interface) inputs to other systems. A separate Player-Aircraft the acts based on the inputs. No idea if that is smart or not. When checking for enemies in range should my ship seek for the enemies and activate them or should the enemies look for my ship?
Is it bad to split my Aircraftcraft to several Blueprints/entities (targeting computer, physics system, PA/radio/dialogue etc.) or have all of the functions in one?

I know all this is very context/need/case dependent but I am looking for info to teach me to do those choices well.

Cherers,

Heikki

An here is my latest work in progress video

thanks for comments. about the demo: it is mostly placeholder stuff now. I have pretty strong 3D/visual background (my old work is at machinista.com) so especially the props is my least worry - kinda know what needs to be done. Landscape is also just a debugging one - one tiling color map and one roughness map - not a visual benchmark. Landscape will be a learning process of its own so not worrying about it yet.

I figured that structure is heavily case by case dependent and I know learning the hard way is powerful - just not sometimes not the most efficient time wise.