Best practice when scaling sockets

I wanted to understand what is good practice, do’s or don’ts for the following situation:

I have a static mesh component, and I create a blueprint actor around it so it can be part of the game logic more effectively. It doesn’t matter what the scale is. Let’s say I migrated from somewhere, I don’t have control over its size and I definitely have to adjust it.

So I scale it this way or the other and place it in my scene… all fine. Now, what if I want to attach it to my character at some point? In his hand, or hip or back (i.e. if it’s a weapon or a tool, something simple perhaps like a sphere or plain cube, or anything “grabbable”)? I go about creating a separate socket for each type of item it may be that my character will hold. I rotate the socket so that it looks natural depending on what the item is. What about scale however? If I need to adjust the size of the item in the very beginning to put it in my level, then I have to repeat the process in the skeleton view when I create the socket.

What’s good practice?

A. Leave all scale untouched in the blueprint, and only adjust in the Editor in the level/map?

A1. Adjust the scale at the BP(self) level up top, or

A2. Adjust the scale at the mesh component level down below?

B. Do I adjust the scale in the mesh component in the blueprint, compile and save?

Which method above can help avoid duplicate sizing in the skeleton view when configuring the socket? So I can just go with 1:1 scale for the preview mesh and worry only about rotation to my liking?

Thanks.