Best Practice for using a Texture that is a 'Grid' of multiple Options in a Material?

Hello, I’m currently getting into the creation of some very basic VFX for a game I’m working on.

One thing I want to do is to create a small lightning effect on enemies when they are hit by something that deals lightning damage. I had bought a pack with textures for materials, and while i dont really understand any intricacies i can use ‘normal’ textures just fine.

However, there is also textures like these in there:

lightninggrid_badcrop

This is a sheet of multiple simple lightning effects that form sort of a 3x3 grid (i purposefully cropped it very badly since I’m assuming that might be some sort of regulations against sharing)

I’d like to use this texture sheet for a material, and then create a vfx with that material where with each activation, a randomly chosen lightning from the texture sheet is displayed, but im struggling to find out how sheets like these are commonly used. Do people separate them with another tool and then just import the separated pieces back into unreal engine, then put them into an array? Or is there maybe a built in way to just use this sheet as is, and dynamically choose a specific part of it through some sort of coordinate?

How should i approach this the best way? Thank you very much for any pointers

1 Like

Try using a flipbook node. It divides the texture up into a grid of frames :slight_smile:

See:

1 Like

Does exactly what I hoped it would, and so simple to implement (at a baseline of course)

Thanks a bunch!

1 Like

I should think it looks a little like lightning, even in it’s basic form :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.