Best Monitor for Unreal Engine 4

Hello!

I’m planning to build a custom PC in the summer to learn UE4 and 3D modeling. So far I have always used Macs, where I never had to worry much about all the different specs. So building a custom Rig is completely new to me and I have to learn a lot. I figured I start with the monitor!

Here are some questions:

1. What monitors are you guys using and why? (Would be great to also hear what monitors employees at Epic are using!)

2. What current monitor would do you recommend?

3. Should the monitor be G-Sync Enabled?

4. I like to play Unreal Tournament. What should the minimum Response Time be?

5. What screen size and resolution do you recommend (I was thinking 27 inch).

It would be great to hear from you, guys :slight_smile: Thanks!

What’s kind of funny about this question is that generally you would need a better monitor for playing a twitch shooter than developing one. So you may want to think of this as “What is the best monitor for Unreal Tournament”. In that case, you want to use something with high response rate and can handle high FPS.

For UE4, I use a 30hrtz 38" 4k monitor paired with a 24" 60hrtz, both of which would be terrible for playing UT, but they allow me to have tons of menus open at once in UE4.

hope this helps you.

I think the ultrawides (the various 21:9 monitors) are the best bet for developing due to the large screen space they give you. I love mine for gaming too even though it’s only 60hz, I think lg is about to come out with some 144hz ones though. I use a 25" and two dell 17" 4:3 monitors beside it, odd setup, but it’s nice to have ue4’s window open on the one then the content browser on another monitor, then my picture references on another. Thinking about adding a 4th above the ultrawide, so I can model at the same time.

I have 2x ASUS VE247 24" flat panels at 1080p and 60hz. For UE4 and other 3d programs 2 screens is a huge bonus if you have the space & extra cash.

Size and resolution also depend on your budget and how close you sit to the screen for gaming, but in general 1080p 60hz or greater. If you use V-Sync on your games to limit them to 60fps, there really isn’t any need for 120hz or 144hz screens, but that may change in the future. For now though go with the best monitor for your budget and video card, higher res will give lower FPS. :wink:

I think the best decision is to have 2 monitors. It could save a lot of nerves and time during development.

I personally run two 144hz Asus monitors and really enjoy their clarity and response.

^

It is practically mandatory for this type of work. I often find myself wanting a third monitor. Doing any sort of office work with only one is atrocious, but this especially requires many simultaneous screens.

1. I use a Flatron L227WT and a old Dell 17’ -> I got both for free that’s why I use them :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. This differs from person to person -> e.g I have a 23’ and a 17’ montior and for me personally it’s enough.

For sure, get at least 2 monitors. I’m actually running triple 27" monitors (Asus Rog PG278Q), and developing is an absolute dream with Unreal 4.

I typically have the editor window on the center monitor, the Blueprint/material editor on the left, and the right monitor free for another app (like Visual Studio, documentation, etc.). It works really well.

In my case, the monitors are 144Hz G-Sync, but I don’t think this is needed for development. Certainly it looks smoother, but you probably won’t be more productive or anything.

However, the 1440p resolution does help, as you can see more things on the screen than with 1080p.

Running a old 30 Dell monitor(2560 X 1600). My next monitor well be a 40" 4K monitor, depending on the review it might be this one: ://www.amazon/Seiki-SM40UNP-40-0-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00RVGXZ08/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426366507&sr=1-5&keywords=Seiki or the ultrawide monitor(21:9).

I’d like to get a new monitor Q4 2015…not in rush since my 4 year Dell is still working :slight_smile: You’ll notice many Dell 30" monitor in Epic game videos. Too bad there aren’t any 40" OLED monitor I’d buy one in a heart beat!

That’s a huge monitor!

I’ve got an ASUS VG248QE for gaming, and an older Acer 24" IPS for photo work and developing. I’d suggest getting a monitor with accurate color reproduction if you’re developing, as you’ll find that you’ll be able to provide a consistent experience, aesthetically, to a larger group of people. also makes a good point - higher resolution monitors will also allow you to have more open at once, and thus, do more.

Thank you guys so much for the response!!

I think I will go for an Ultrawide monitor, as it would be nice to not have bezels in the way.

The LG 21:9 Curved UltraWide (3440*1440) sure looks tempting:

://www.lg/us/monitors/lg-34UC97-S-ultrawide-monitor

The color accuracy seems good enough and I will calibrate it. Response time might not be as good, but thats okay because I only play UT for fun.
Only G/Free Sync would be nice to have…

I run a triple monitor setup. My monitor is a BenQ XL2420G (1ms, 144hz, 24", g-sync, TN panel), and my side monitors are Dell U2312HM’s (8ms, 60hz, 23", IPS panel). monitor is mainly used for gaming and the UE4 window/VS. Sides are for blueprint window and chrome for docs.

One thing to know if you plan on going for g-sync: it ain’t cheap :stuck_out_tongue:

I have 3x monitors. 2x 24" 1080p and 1x 27" 1440p. 24 vs 27 isn’t a big deal, but 1080 vs 1440 is a big deal. I really would like to switch all 3 to 1440p.

In my opinion, 1 24" 16:10 central monitor paired with other 2 4:3 (Dell 2007FP comes to mind) one at each side would be ideal.

At work I use 2x 2560x1440 Dell U2713 but at home I use a single Dell U2711 2560x1440 and am pretty happy with it for UE4 (I’ve actually got a second one hooked to another computer, but my desk isn’t big enough to place both adjacent to each other at a comfortable angle). WindowsKey+Left / +Right is your friend for snapping windows to half a monitor.

Cheers,

Did some more digging and the LG UltraWide doesn’t look that good anymore compared to the Philips BDM4065UC:

LG resolution: 3440 x 1440
LG dimensions: 32.7 x 6.8 x 18.5 inches

Philips resolution: 3840 x 2160
Philips dimensions: 35.6 x 3.5 x 20.2 inches

So with the philips is even wider and higher plus you save a good amount of money!

But is it 60hz?

It is!

See under "Specifications ": ://www.amazon/Philips-BDM4065UC-Resolution-Speakers-DisplayPort/dp/B00SCX78JS

And it also has an okay response time of 8.5ms.