Best Method for Importing a Model with Multiple Mesh Pieces?

Hello Everyone!

I’m still incredibly new to Unreal, so I hope you’ll forgive me if this is a stupid question. Anyway, I modeled a bolt action rifle with Modo that has six meshes making up the whole object. Each mesh has its own UV’s and material applied to it. After I finished modeling, I then textured the rifle with Substance Painter. I’m now trying to import the model into Unreal so I can see how it works in-engine, and make some final renders from there.

The problem I ran into is that when importing the FBX into Unreal, every individual mesh piece that made up the rifle was split into its own static mesh. I’d like for Unreal to treat the rifle as a single object rather than six pieces. The solution I came up with was to add a new blueprint, and to put the mesh pieces in the blueprint so I could move and manipulate that in the level instead. However, I’m wondering if there is a better way to do this.

My question is this: what is the best way to import a model into Unreal so that all the meshes, UV’s, and textures are preserved, but Unreal treats the model as one actor in the level?

Thanks in advance, and if you have any other tips for creating and optimizing assets for games, I’d greatly appreciate the advice!

1 Like

drag the meshes to the main scene, select the meshes and right click on one of them to “merge actors”.

1 Like

When you import your mesh, there is an option under one of the dropdowns (small downward chevron) called Combine Meshes. It’ll bring it in as a single static mesh asset, but retain the UVs and material slots.

You could have also made it a skeletal mesh. Or use the file > ‘import to level’, which would let you stick all the static meshes in a bp automatically. Or combine the model is Modo prior to export.

thanks this method is very simple and i used it. thanks for sharing

1 Like