Best method for creating an interactive 3D star map in a menu

Hi guys, was hoping for some pointers as to how I should approach implementing an interactive 3D star-map style menu in my game? Something that can show a little representation of a star system, with orbiting planets and such, that I can pan around, scroll in and out of, click things etc…

The nuts and bolts I can figure out but was just wondering what people’s advice is regarding high level approach. Should I create the scene off-screen somewhere and use some kind of render target? Should I create it as a new level and load it in somehow when opening the menu? Is there a way of doing it entirely within widget blueprints?

Any sage wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have an example of 3D Star-Map ?

Something like …

Yeah exactly that, what I need would be a fair bit simpler but in essence that’s what I’m after. I feel like I could put this together easily enough in it’s own right within a level, but I’m just a bit unsure what the right way to do it is when I want it encapsulated in a (full screen) menu accessible from within the game itself.

Theres a lot going on in that video. The best way is the one that gives you want after you tried 1001 ways that didn’t. LOL

You are obviously going to have to experiment. I would start my experiments trying mimic how things are done in the real world, then optimize later.

I would start with a empty map and a player pawn that flies and has adjustable speed. Then I would create a ‘star manager’ Actor that spawns random stars when placed into the level.

Once, I have these, I would fly around with the pawn and adjust the speed to get a feel for the visuals and future interaction.

The best way is the one that gives you want after you tried 1001 ways that didn’t.

Yeah ain’t that the truth lol… I suppose really my question is less about how I’d make something like that work, more how do I contain it within a menu, instead of in the level.

The game is a city builder and I want to just open up a menu to get an interactive 3D map of the system. Normally I can just make a widget with all the 2D elements I need, but how do I add a 3D interactive map into something like that? Hope that helps clear it up!

StarGazer.zip UE 5.3 (108.6 KB)
Put this example together to demonstrate the idea.

Thanks so much for this! Can I ask what version engine you made this in? I’m getting some errors when trying to play the level and the screen just stays black.

Sorry, failed to mention its 5.3