Best laptop for UE4

There’s a laptop with a rumored GTX 1080m in SLI. But that’s probably overkill.

I looks like a great fit for mobile work. You wont get better performance in that form factor. The high resolution screen will be a bit heavy to render, but for especially heavy full screen rendering you can always switch down to 1600x900.

There are GTX 10xx laptops on the horizon, but I won’t expect any to be redily available in a while.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167748%20601211657%20601211658%20601211659

Unless I’m missing something you can get one right now, plenty more getting released in the next month too.
I don’t look at laptops very often though so I’m not sure how they compare on price.

I stand corrected, the first batch was released right after the announcement of the new CPUs.

I also use and only have a laptop at the moment (i5 dx10) and not planning on upgrading anytime soon as i cannot afford another one lol, i was wondering if there’s a way to disable all the post effects and other unnecessary stuff when working in the editor so it wouldn’t put much strain on my machine and then when we hit play automatically enable all the stuff like unity does?

Personally, I admire the Alienware FHD. It plays most of the games with a constant frame rate of around 46. It’s one of the most comfortable gaming laptop i’ve seen .If you are an intense gamer, that spends 9 or more hours playing games, then this is a great laptop for the budget, not only does the keyboard and mouses fitted comforable with the hands, it also has the Specs to back it up. Here are few other gaming laptops
Intel Core i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz Processor
16 GB DDR3L SDRAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5
1 TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Storage; No Optical Drive
15.6 Inch FHD (1920x1080) LED-lit IPS Screen

Been gaming for a few years now on MSI laptop, it’s really good choice with better performance.

it would be nice to have a comparison to http://pc4u.org/best-gaming-laptop/

I have been owning various laptops for 3d works… and honestly when it come to UE4, you just need to make sure you have at least Nvidia 860/970, RAM >= 16GB and yes, SDD is a must. Otherwise the level loading will be unbearably slow. My main gripe about laptop is not performance - it is the Nvidia Optimus that kills it. I don’ know about other laptop, but both ASUS ROG and Lenovo laptops will switch to Intel graphics card when hooked to external monitor or HMD.

I just picked up a MSI GT62VR 6RE (https://ca.msi.com/Laptop/GT62VR-6RE-025CA-Dominator-Pro.html) and so far it’s been pretty good, especially once I removed all the pre-installed crapware that seems to plague laptops. It runs everything I’ve thrown at it on ultra settings at 1920x1080, including Battlefied 4, Paragon, and Fallout 4. It did crash hard and reboot in the middle of a Paragon match though, but not sure what that was about and it hasn’t happened again, yet.

Well, it really depends if on would make an indie game or try to make a MMO. I own an Inspiron 7559 with a GTX 960M and 8GB of RAM and it runs pretty smoothly.
If you go for the top gaming laptops nowadays with even GTX 1080s, you can get as much performance as you would in a dektop, at least close. Benchmark for games are almost identical in some models.

Alright thank’s :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for the information, I will see what to do :slight_smile:

Hi StefanPoulos, I’m sorry but I haven’t yet bought the pc, so I can’t tell you how are performance.

I would point out that you need plenty of CPU cooling for extended heat stress(since you will be packing and unpacking lots of data), regular slim design laptop cooling probably can’t handle that without thermal throttling(in short,get gaming laptop). Also Keep in mind that you are going to need more RAM, and extension slots are not standard in all models + it should probably be allocated to the budget.

Nope, if I’ll buy a pc , I won’t use it to play videogames, but only for graphics use.

The idea is not to create a game. But simply learn UE4

The XPS 15 you talked about has the same Graphics Card as mine, XPS is basically one level above Inspiron series, and for me it works just fine, specially to begin with.

Serious? uaoh !! But with the arrival of Nvidia’s 10x series, I doubt I will opt for the xps. I thought of taking an MSI with a GTX 1060. Anyway thank’s for the information!! :slight_smile:

Alright, thank you very much for the information!! :slight_smile: