Download

Best hardware to avoid crashes when working in the Unreal Editor?

I’m using UE 4.24 and it tends to crash a lot when I’m working on something even slightly advanced. I thought maybe my GPU is the problem, but I’ve read that the GPU is only responsible for displaying pixels and that the CPU does most of the work.

This brings me to the question: is it possible to get really good hardware so that I don’t experience any more crashes? If so, what would it be?

My current system:
i7 9700 @3 GHz (4.8 GHz with turbo boost)
GTX 1660, 6 GB DDR5
32 GB RAM DDR4

The GPU matters a bit more for games than the CPU, things are very graphics intensive and there can be stuff that can overtax it so it depends on what you’re doing. For example if you’re trying ray tracing then I wouldn’t be surprised to see the system crashing from that.
Your computer is fine in terms of specs, but there can certainly be some things that you could do with UE4 that could be too much for it.

your problem is “not” your hardware, its way more than enough

the problem is engine version 4.24, I was having it crash on me every 5mins if I started editing almost anything inside it. and its not just me, there are a ton of people having issues with engine version 4.24.

I downgraded to version 4.23.1, and I have not a single crash ALL day, been 3 days now, haven’t crashed a single time while editing.

switch to version 4.23.1, and never experience a crash again !

my specs are much lower, and I never crash using 4.23.1.

hopefully they will fix the engine in 4.25, will have to wait and see. its not a big deal for me, being an indie dev, not doing the triple AAA thing.

hope this helps.

God Bless you. May Jesus Christ be Charitable unto you.

Acts 10 : 33 - 48, google it, its Awesome.