Best approach for urban road network

Hey there and happy new year to all of you.

Like the titel says I am looking for a good or “the best” approach to build up a road network within unreal engine 4.
Sure I could build piece by piece in any 3D app like Maya or 3DSmax but I have an urban terrain sketched out with an approximate size of 7 square kilometers (in real world measures).
Building a road network of that size, piece by piece, would be unnecessarily painfull to do, as you can imagine.

I know there is a way to have a custom mesh follow a spline and update fully dynamic. I followed a tutorial I found on Youtube and it works pretty well. (Tutorial Link: Unreal Engine 4 Road Tool in Blueprints with Spline and SplineMesh - Part 1 Spline Components - YouTube)

Yet there is a catch to it.
I could not figure out how to make crossroads, except for actually modelling them in a 3D App.
But without modelling hundrets of individual crossroads, this would look very repetitive, not to mention the time it takes to do so.

Has anyone ever accomplished something like this in UE4 ?
What would be a good way to go about this?

There is no need to have traffic lights or any other objekts build automatically with the road, like f.e. Houdini can do, which I do not own btw. Its just the road network I need, since everything else has do be done manually due to very specific needs.

Any help is much appreciated!

Best regards

DAkAR

Hi,

do you have any results regarding this topic? I’m interested :slight_smile:

I’m afraid not. But if you find out, i’d be very interessted to hear.

I’m thinking about coding (c++) a generic mesh-based crossroad that is then instantiated with pseudo-random parameters (type of crossing, angles of the road, number of lanes…). Second step would be connecting it with the spline-based method mentioned in the youtube clip.