Bendy Physics Asset

Ahoy there (working on a pirate game! Had to say it!),
I am currently working on my game in UE5.3 and have ran into an interesting situation! I am using Quixel Megascan foliage for my game world and noticed one main thing they lacked: Rigs! The wind wasn’t convincing enough for me and couldn’t be done directionally of course. The system was for a general use case. I also didn’t like that there was no collision between the foliage and another object that had a collision. I rigged up the Quixel Sea Grass and am now messing with physics assets. I have basically never touched physics assets or physics at all in ue5. I don’t know that the physics asset is even what I need. Right now I am at a point where I can animate it by hand, but I would really rather have it be real-time collision. I basically have no idea where to start with this. I know I will have to make a system that replaces the static mesh with the skeletal mesh around the radius of the player and other physics objects for performance reasons, but as for making the rigs react properly, I have no idea.

I have tried a lot and came up with nothing conclusive… Basically any other object that has collision when coming in contact with a blade of the sea grass should cause it to bend as to not clip through it and then bounce back to its original position as soon as the object is no longer touching and pushing it out of the way. Basically exactly what you would expect if you kicked some sea grass, it stiffens back up after.

Thank you in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated!

Some dated tuts on this exactly.

If you skin trhough them youll find info on rigging and setting up phat assets for foliage.

https://youtube.com/ playlist?list=PLgRW1PMsJr5qfyksksbRnKRACf5iIgTyO&si=ZMaxYgaBTn4bIKMu

Its a playlist, not a single video.

Thank you, this looks like just what I needed!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.