Being able to create spherical terrain to simulate planets

It would be great in the future if Unreal would bring a plugin to create terrain with other shapes, that when entering landscape mode and before creating a terrain as such, in the options you would have the option to create flat or spherical terrain or even other shapes, in order to simulate planets and etc… and to be able to sculpt our mountains, create trees and others in it. The only problem would be to create the water or sea so that it adapts to the spherical shape of the planet, for example to the water system plugin (which by the way is still in experimental and the version is still in 0.1…) Something could be added to it that would make it deform and take the shape of the planet or land that you are going to create.

Depending on what scale and scope of planet level your are trying to achieve, this actually can be done by using existing tools

• By geometry script which would be quite usefull if you want to generate small scale tiny planets procedurally
  • There is voxelization plugin which can do the same.
  • Depending on how player will interact with the terrain, how the transition going to be, also can be faked through rendering which would be more cost effective.

But these would not let you edit the terrain manually, imagine that I am making a planet with a certain theme, and I need to edit a specific area of the planet, using the methods of one of these videos, could I do it? I know that one of this uses the voxel plugin (free version) but I don’t know if I can edit the terrain manually and the same with the water, when making an ocean I wouldn’t know how to adapt it to the shape of the planet.

The general idea is that I can create large-scale spherical terrain (planets) to edit them to my liking and give free rein to my imagination…

1 Like