[Beginner Question] HUD not working

I made a Widget Blueprint which should appear when a certain collision box is overlapped but it won’t become visible. Do you have any idea why it won’t work? Blueprint screenshots are in the attachment.
Thanks in advance and sorry to keep bothering you, but I really need help :slight_smile:

Are you creating the widget & adding it to viewport?

Yes, I am :slight_smile:

Hi ficabj5,

To start off, I would debug the BP_FloorTile. Use “Print String” Node and add a custom message like It’s Working in the text field. Place this node after the Component Overlap node, if you get a message, good. Then try after cast to main char, continue and so on and so on. This should let you know if there is an issue with the player triggering the event or if there is an issue with actual Widget.

I did what you said, tested everything. The results are quite interesting. When I put the Print Text node in the Component Overlap node I get printed text, however when I put it on the beginning of the GameOver event nothing happens, so obviously the problem is in the Widget Blueprint, and more specifically in the GameOver event. Do you have any idea on how to fix this issue?

Hi,

I think I know the issue, before we test anything else. Try this. The variable ref hud should not be coming from the same blueprint, it should be coming from the cast GameMode and it will get the correct variable. I recreated your blueprint system and that was the issue for me in the pipeline.

If that fails, try this below. (I did all this below before I realized the ref hud was not coming from the cast :slight_smile: )

1. On the first image for the tile component, use the print string after cast like in the image and see if it’s working.

2. If that works, on the second image for the Widget Blueprint, replace Custom Game Over Event with another event that you know works, just to see if it shows up like the Event Construct node. (You may have to adjust your hidden visible settings temporarily to see if that works.) (Also you may have to place a fake value in one of the text for it to show depending on your setup.)

3. If the Widget shows up after you change it to something that should work, then the Custom Event for Game Over isn’t talking to each other or it could be the hidden/visible settings may be off.

A lot of times the problem is with casting to another blueprint that fails. Also give the debug messages different names just to make sure you know which one is telling you what is working.

Even if we don’t get it working yet, this is how you can approach each problem you have in the future because there will be more. Guaranteed. :slight_smile:

I fixed it, thanks to your help. I don’t know how to thank you for this. I can’t express how grateful I am for this help. Thank you so much once again!!

You’re welcome :), best of luck with your project!