[Beginner] Door collision detection with side scroll character

Hi everyone,
I’m very new to unreal. (just 3 hours into unreal) I have fairly good experience with unity engine. And i already read this document https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/GettingStarted/FromUnity/
I saw some basic videos on how to create materials, how to work with blueprints(which i need more time to understand), how to do level designing which includes creating geometry, dragging and dropping meshes on to scene re-sizing, positioning etc.
There are too many tutorials out there and i’m too excited to try unreal that i skipped tutorials and started making a demo which will be teach about engine faster than tutorials.
So I started with c++ side scroll project. I created a door and added a collision box to it by clicking on “Add Component” and clicking on box collider.

As shown in image that dark orange out lines around door is box collider. Side scroll character has capsule collider i think because it has that dark orange capsule surrounding the character.
I want to know when these two colliders collide. I clicked on “Add component” button on side scroll character and i did “Add c++ code”. IT gave me an option to add ActorComponent. And when i tried googling I came across this link (c-collision-detection) but this code can only go in AActor class or any class that inherit AActor.
Another link i came across is https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Gameplay/ClassCreation/CodeOnly/index.html
I created a Actor class and it came under “All Classes” category in editor. But i don’t know what to do with it. Unlike in unity, I cannot drag and drop this class on the side scroll character. When I drag and drop, I comes as a another actor, and i cannot drag and drop this actor under side scroll character.

In unity, i can create a public variable in code and assign this public variable with values like colliders or objects from editor. What is the equivalent action for this in unreal?
How can i check if two colliders in my level are colliding in c++ (without using blueprint at all).
Please point me in a direction without usage of blueprints, learning a new engine itself is a bit overwhelming and i would like to do it old school method by coding. I will learn blueprints after i’m a bit confident about my knowledge on unreal. :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance.

bump anyone?
i’m still stuck in this :frowning:
pls help

hello i was thinking of a solution if you haven’t found one yet. If you set the hit box to react to a button press ie: For keyboard and mouse “W” or mobile device “Up Directional” this may make it work. Here is an example tutorial that may help you in your problem. Sorry for the late reply I was searching for a side scroll problem myself.