Batch edit Static Mesh import path

Hi, we have lots of assets where the source path has changed and so the Unreal path is out of date.
We need to batch re import these assets but don’t want to have to find the new source file each time.

I have tried to do this via the property matrix but the path section is grayed out and not editable.
Is there a way of selecting a bunch of assets and changing their source path from say D:\work to X:\work\assets for example?

Many thanks,
Rich.

Hi Rich,

Try right clicking the folder containing these assets, and click Fix Up Redirectors in Folder. There’s more info on that here.

If that doesn’t work, could you share a bit more information about what problems you’re seeing?

Best,

Cody

Hi Cody, the re-directors are not the issue here. I want to be able to change the import path on multiple assets, where Unreal looks for the original fbx files in Perforce. Where the .uasset lives in Unreal wont change.

Cheers,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It doesn’t look like there’s a faster way in the engine to reassign a large number of import paths, outside of opening each asset and setting it via the file selector.

The function called to do the reassignment is AssetImportData::UpdateFilenameOnly. One option would be to write a plugin that would run through the asset database, checking import paths and setting them to the new location when possible. If you’re interested in pursuing that approach, I’ll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Best,

Cody