Basic set-up for a 2.5D game. (Movement, collisions, player control, cameras, no coding).

Hello,

I am into a simple 2.5D project. My 1st attemp actually!
I have searched a lot but I kind of feeling lost. I would like help as to get things up starting. I mean, I know no coding, so I need to learn how to use blueprints effectively. I already did a lot o job in 3D engines and 2D digital drawing, sprites, textures and stuff. But… I litterally am lost as to how to impliment all these in UE5. I tried different templates but nothing fits well, also many tutorial sare making things more complex. So… I am lost. Is there trhe possibility for some tutorial that sum up the knowledge for someone to start building a 2.5D world? I mean putting a character into the project aho is functional in all direction, have collisions, physics, and also all the objects around (which more or less I have them ready), the cameras and stuff. But most of all and mainly, I have no coding knowledge and… sorry… I find it so difficult to learn a coding language, so my only option is blueprints, which I like vastly, but I am lost!
In any case, sorry for my clumsy introduction, but I intended to give the feeling of how lost I am! So, just simplifying the things, I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with a guide, a tutorial, if I may say, that gives me the basic knowledge and methods to import my other projects in UE5 and for them to be functional within it. I mean how to move my 2D character in 3D environment and interact with it effectively, with collisions and physics well calculated (example: pass by a door or something, correct jumping and interaction with objects). Basically I would like to make a good start and learn simple yet interesting things and methods for a basic level, just to start building up a wonderful, simple and interesting experience! I you get me! Which I hope you do, because my english are not fluent and my situation right now is quite intimidating. I hope I gave you correctly and understandably, what I would like to say and ask!
Please forgive me for any inconveniences and my huge text, but I would like to express what I would like to ask and my situation as comprehensive as possible!
I am looking forward to an answer! It will help me A LOT!
Thank you upfront!

Kind regards,
Dimos Nanousis
dimosnanousispr@gmail.com

Hey DimosNanousis, welcome back to the forums!

Something you’ll want to keep in mind is that a 2.5D project is still a 3D project, you just choose not to move on the Y axis (or X if you make it that way). I’m going to point you to this official UE5 tutorial because I think it’s a great jumping off point. Your 2D character would still interact in a 3D world if you give it a collision box, you should give this a shot because everything you learn in this tutorial will be used in your project whether it’s 3D or 2D or anywhere in between!

Good luck and hopefully we see you again soon!

1 Like