Basic Player Movement Broken (top down)

Hi guys,

So I’ve been trying to learn UE4 over the last month and started a simple top-down 2d space game to practice with. Last week when I was testing my player’s spaceship was able to move in all directions but today it can only move up and down the screen. I know it must have been something I’ve done wrong or not saved properly but if tried redoing the inputs and the controller blueprint twice now and still get the same result.

For testing purposes I have made both inputs do the same thing (at slightly different speeds). If I use any of the keys bound to the vertical movement it works perfectly but any keys bound to the horizontal movement do absolutely nothing.

I was wondering if anyone can see anything blindingly obvious that I’ve done wrong in this image…

Much appreciated.

have you tried changing the name from “InputAxis Horizontal” to “InputAxis MoveRight”?, that’s what I used a while ago and it worked.

Hello,
maybe i am wrong but you add 0.5 in both add movement input to x. Maybe set one to x and the other to z.

I didn’t even notice that:p, although wouldn’t it need to be X and Y, if its a top down game then Z would be toward the camera (so like jump), wouldn’t it?

Maybe ^^ Have you try to figure what happens ? Then you’ll know :wink:

I will give that a shot now. Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

EDIT: I’m afraid that didn’t work either. Have you possibly been watching YouTube tutorial series where they teach you how to make a copy of Braid (the game)? The guy on there uses “MoveRight” too but it is just a custom binding so the name shouldn’t make a difference (I tried to change it anyway and had no luck, sorry).

One thing I have noticed while debugging is that if I attach my horizontal input axis to the working vertical ‘AddMovement Input’ (like the image bellow) then it still doesn’t work which means that it has to be the ‘InputAxis Horizontal’ part that is broken. If how ever I rename my horizontal mapping in the project settings then I get a warning in the player controller blueprint saying that it can’t find the mapping that I’m referencing. Which can only mean that when spelt correctly it is successfully referencing the binding in the project settings.

05700bb97e1b5f18f21e7cef0f93e61790d5ad6f.jpeg

Doesn’t make an ounce of sense to me why it should work as it is pretty much an exact replica of the other one that does work.

Doh!

Original post - “For testing purposes I have made both inputs do the same thing (at slightly different speeds). If I use any of the keys bound to the vertical movement it works perfectly but any keys bound to the horizontal movement do absolutely nothing.”

I probably didn’t word this very well but what I was trying to say was that I had already tried the other Axis’ but nothing works (even up and down which works on the other bindings). I currently have it in the same axis as the vertical movement binding as I know that the vertical axis is clear of any obstructions as it works fine when I press W, S, up or down.

So in theory… pressing any of the horizontal bindings should do the same and the corresponding keys assigned to the vertical binding (other than a very slight speed difference).

I’m completely baffled :frowning:

SUCCESS!!

Okay so I honestly believe it’s a bug. If I make a replica binding called “HorizontalTest” and link that to the controller blueprint then it works. If I make one called “Horizontal” (after deleting the original) it doesn’t work. When I last worked on this project “Horizontal” worked absolutely fine.

Wow, that was so frustrating.