Barko & The Lost Bone

I am building a 3d Platformer called Barko & The Lost Bone powered by Unreal Engine 5 and Blender. The game follows a cartoony stylized appearance that pays is deeply inspired while paying homage to Courage the Cowardly Dog although the Dog itself was derived from my Chihuahua and my Late Bull Mastiff who always Bark at everything outside my house window hence the name BARKO.

PLOT:
The story unfolds as Barko loses the one thing he cares about the most – his Dog Bone! One Day it suddenly goes missing and things begin to change in the world around him so it’s up to man’s best friend to find and fix it!

TOOLSET:

1. Blender 3.6
  2. Unreal Engine 5

ENDGOAL:
My endgoal here is to release my first ever Steam Game hopefully by the end of 2024 if not sooner while learning more about everything in between along the way to bring the game to life and eventually use this improved experience to finish my other Indie Games.

TEASER SCREENSHOTS:

BARKO (Blender 3.6) -

BARKO (Geometry) -

BARKO (UE5 In-Game Wip Test of Barko and his Toony Stylized Appearance) -

GAME HUB MAP (Connects players via Portals to its related Worlds and Sublevels) -

GAME INSPIRATION (My Barky Dogs Mainly CARLY at Top & KODA at Bottom) -
Carly barks the most and I’ve had her since I met my wife as we got her back in 2011 which is around the time I got into 3d Modeling and learning to make games…

So, after I got Koda she started barking just as much no thanks to my other dog. Sadly, she’s no longer with me as she passed away in late July 2023 and she is a massive driving force for me to finish the game as I want to honor her memory. Not shown here, but she has a very large tongue that would usually hang out of her mouth, it made me laugh a lot of the time and she was always by my side. It is extremely likely that she will become a Statue, or a Character immortalized within the game itself. :slight_smile:

There will be more updates to come! I plan to keep teasing a lot of this to continue to help motivate myself to finish the game before the end of 2024 if not sooner. :smiley:

1 Like

If Barko starred in his own Animated TV Series, he might actually end up looking something like this:

(Rendered in Blender 3.6)

2 Likes

Barko should definitely star in his own show. He’s truly a masterpiece. :')

1 Like

Thank you very much! @PresumptivePanda

1 Like

Hey there @Deygus!

I love seeing pet inspired content throughout games! It’s always so lovely to see how close one can keep their furbabies and it’s an even more grand to showcase that love in the form of creation! I’m very curious how the development will continue and look forward to seeing Barko raise the woof with his presence. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you kindly @The_M0ss_Man, I appreciate the kind words, it really helps drive a lot of my motivation to complete the game. I do have some gameplay mechanics in mind for Barko that once finished will hopefully generate some unique fun to do that. I think I would also like to borrow your quote as well, “Raise the Woof” that’s an absolutely fantastic catch phrase that I didn’t think of yet.

1 Like

I’ve made a Full 3d Scene, get a free early Full 3D Look at Barko and some of the Geometry behind the scenes (Exported from Blender):
https://skfb.ly/oLYn8

Hey there @Deygus !

It’s nice to see the little scene in such an interactive manner! I didn’t know that could happen on Sketchfab! As far as the quote works, feel free! I thought it was a funny little pun you’d might enjoy and I think very fitting for the game. I’m happy it inspired you to use it. :green_heart:

1 Like

Thank you @The_M0ss_Man! Yes it’s entirely possible. I created that small version within Blender and then uploaded it into Sketchfab as a fun little Teaser Art Piece. That was definitely a very inspiring and catchy pun, been stuck in my head for the past week lol!

1 Like

There’s been a ton of changes to Barko & The Lost Bone, it’s still largely a work in progress and I lost some time due to work and other distractions, but I have been doing it as best I can on a weekly basis. Everyone deals with some sort of interruptions and discouragement so these are just my thoughts and it’s important to keep trying otherwise our ideas will never happen.

1. The Barko Main Map has changed drastically, and it is now roughly five times larger.
  2. Work has begun on the individual levels that are connected to the Main Map.
  3. I have been working on introducing some platformer mechanics.
  4. Barko Character has been updated to Blender 4.0+
  5. Oh, and by the way… Who is this??

The above is still a work in progress so I will share new updated in-game/editor screenshots very soon with plans to post some YouTube (Video) Teasers and Devlogs that may very well begin to occur more frequently thereafter. I mainly just wanted to try to focus more on developing the game further beforehand.

On Saturday I shared this Tweet on Twitter:
“OH NO! The Road to #Dogville is broken in #CanineCove! What happened?! There’s a portal over there, but how to get there? Maybe you can find the Other Portal nearby somewhere? #IndieGame #IndieDev #Blender #UnrealEngine #3dPlatformer #Dog #GameDev #ScreenshotSaturday #VideoGame”

The main idea here was just to make the game somewhat more of a Challenge while continuing to work on developing the Game’s Environment a lot further. This occurred while making a few slight changes to certain parts of the main level of the game to make more room for some very unique and yet interesting areas. The intent here is mostly to make it a lot more fun and not so easy as players progress. There needs to be a good mix of fun, challenge, and replay value and that’s where changes like this become necessary.

BarkoAndTheLostBone is officially at the Halfway Mark! Here’s the updated 2024 Roadmap!
:green_circle:= Done
:red_circle:= In Progress

good luck nice project!

1 Like

Thank you, much appreciated! :slight_smile: